What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CP's for my climate?

It's also used in swimming pool sand filters so, anywhere that sells pool supplies should have it.

I originally grew my Cephalotus in a mix of five parts perlite to four parts peat. It worked fine but if you can get silica that would be better.

I'll check the pool stores... There are only 2 in the city...
As for the silica, I think a pet shop...

It'll be a lot cheaper at the pool places.

Waitaminit... Pygmies?
So that is all it's gonna grow?

Pretty much. D. nitidula is a "pygmy" Drosera species...most stay pretty small.

It'll be a lot cheaper at the pool places.

Yep I can get 40-50# for around 10 bucks. Not sure what that all converts to though LOL

Thats about $140 pesos...
And I found a small greenhpuse that has severel droseras on sale (and I got to see a Nephenthes-like one through the glass)... Was closed when I passed, but I'll go back later to see what they have...

Well, very interesting...
The store I mentioned above handles several species... They only had Droseras on sale, the Nepenthes is for exhibition purpouses-only...
They showed me this catalog with several species, ask for them, have them sent from their greenhouse in the city of Xalapa (BTW, it's nicknamed "the city of flowers")...

I recall seeing in the catalog
Nephentes:
N. alata; N. raflessiana; N. miranda and N. sanguinea
Other 2 where rather expensive hybrids... The catalog only specified it was an hybrid, not which variety...

Pinguicolas:
P. moranensis; P. moctezumae; P. gigantea and (the page had a wet-stain) P. ?ita (afrodita?)

Sarracenias:
S. catesbaei; S. farhamii; S. purpurea; S. moorei (or is it smoorei?) and S. stevensii...

Droseras (on display):
D. filiformis; D. capensis; D. binata and a nameless one which I can't place...

The catalog also listed one species of Heliamphora, but the price seemed ridicolous to me (over 70 US)... I know it's rare and South American and stuff, but still...

What do you think?
I want to buy one of each (a Sarracenia a Nephentes and a Pinguicola)... I guess that by November I'll have to put the Sarracenia in the fridge, but besides that I don't see any inconvenients...

So far I have on sight N. alata (according to the link provided by 31drew31 it's on the altitude range); P. moranensis and/or P. moctezumae and S. purpurea and/or S. moorei...
Take me out of any error before I do somethig I shouldn't have done...

PS... Pool store closed when I returned (failed to see the "closed on Tuesdays" sign)

Well...
Nothing... He brougth nothing, but kept insisting that Dionaeas will be alrigth with a piece of ice in the water tray...
And that there are Dionaeas and Muscipulas flytraps, as if they were separate genera...

He is absolutely clueless, and absolutely wrong about the ice in the tray thing..

VFT's (and Sarracenia) need 3 months of gradually decreasing temps and photoperiod to go dormant (Autumn) then three months to *be* dormant (Winter)

Ice in the water tray? that will cool the water for about 2 minutes..and would barely cool the roots of the plant at all..completely useless..

Unless you want to put ice in the tray 48 times a day (every 30 minutes, around the clock) for 6 months straight, it will never work..
and even then, it probably still wouldnt work, because that would only cool the roots..the plant "above ground" would still be hot and sunny..

And even your photoperiod change probably isnt enough to do it, even if you ignore the temp..some quick googling shows you get 12 hours of daylight in the winter, and 14 hours in the summer..thats only an annual 2-hour swing..not good enough..

sorry, but you probably cant grow VFT's or Sarracenia sucessfully..your climate is simply too foreign for them..

Scot

I knew it... I couldn't have ordered them anyhow... They are dormant rigth now...
I did however ordered a couple of Pings, 3 Droseras and a Nepenthes alata...
I'll let you know when they arrive...

Well.. Went to the pool business...
They had no frinkin' idea of what I was talking about...
Not surprised though... And nobody on MercadoLibre (Mexico's Ebay) handles it... Only the peat form...
Sugestions?

If they sell sand filters, they sell the sand for them. They don't use sand filters for pools in Mexico ?

I think he's confused and went looking for LFS at the pool store.

Seele: silica sand at pool store, LFS (long fibered sphagnum) is at garden centers.

I think you might be right....

Pool filter...? Does that exist?
Let's see:
DrDoofenshmirtz2-1.jpg

A year ago I had to attend swimming lessond in the state-operated pool 'cuz since I study marine biology, knowing how to swim is an obvious must...
I recall seeing a white goo covering the pool; pieces of some white rocks in the bottom that burn sligthly my sking when I tried to take them out; a smell of chlorine so bad that my eyes watered; an iguana swiming there; mud in the bottom; rotting leaves floating around and top of it all, water, greener that any plant I have... Do you know what happened the day I forgot my googles?

No... Pool filtering in Mexico is still in muriatic acid and carbonate for pH control, and chlorine to keep it clean... Or something...
And there are no gardening stores around... Except for Home Depot... And they didn't even had peat moss...

Now I'm confused. Weren't you going to a pool store to look for silica sand ? What did you go in looking for ?

The point is, there's no silica nor sphagnum in the poolstore... Only chemicals for water treatment and a large filter...

There would NEVER be sphagnum at any pool store for any reason and, they would probably just call the silica "filter sand". I'm sure they have it.

Huh, does the Home Depot sell play sand? It's not very high quality, but it can work...

You could also look for crushed glass, some people use it in bog gardens but it could probably work instead of silica. Finely crushed glass is baisically silica.

You could also try looking for silica as "sandblasting sand", as it is used for this in many countries.

Back