What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet Billy.

Billy is a Pacific Parrotlet. Billy's hobbies include screaming at passing subway trains, snubbing all of my attempts at affection, pooping everywhere, and destroying carnivorous plants. He first got his taste for them when he discovered a small colony of D. enodes on my windowsill. In the span of just a couple of minutes, he destroyed every last one of them (I've since managed to grow 2 of them back from leaf clippings that he left behind).

Several months later, Billy discovered a P. laueana on the same windowsill. He started out taking just a few small nibbles from it when my back was turned, but I was able to quickly save the plant from further destruction. Yesterday, after several months of what must have been frustrated anticipation, he was able to spend some quality time with the small plant. This is the result:

In the same session, he was also able to take some bites from a much-anticipated, newly developing leaf from non-carnivorous Hoya surigaoensis (the first leaf this plant has grown since I acquired it this past summer).

What Billy does not seem to understand is that a modest pygmy sundew and an unassuming, part-time carnivore such as a Pinguicula pose no threat to him. Rather, he should be directing his attention to the still-immature collection of Nepenthes that are slowly growing and scheming for his ultimate demise... :devil:

LOL! :)

Can't wait to see further installments of Billy vs. the Astoria Carnivorous Plants. Well, written and amusing. :)

Aw he's such a lil cutie! Birds can be a huge handful, I know. They're just so darn smart, bold, and curious about everything. Destructive, messy lil boogers :-))
scaled.php

I used to own a Rainbow Lorikeet when I lived in Australia. Had to leave him there when I moved though.. ::sad::

...and I though the plants are supposed to eat the cirtters...

I used to have a couple vfts ... until some @#$@# bird visited my balcony and obliterated them. Worst loss was a Darlingtonia I had had for several years that some furry treerat uprooted and tore to shreds one summer while I was gone for a week.

balls-icon.png

Back