What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICPS 2012 Roll Call

Luca, thing is.. first thing in the morning, I dunno bout everyone else, but i'm heading to the vendors... not wasting time hanging out. lol. I have a feeling most people will be doing this. Most conferences i've been to, socializing is done at night because the days are packed.
Yea I am gonna do the same. Try to score some nice plants... I mean later in the afternoon we could meet up once we got all the plants we want :lol:

I'm with Brie: First thing I'm going to do opening day is wake up early to be one of the first people in line to get in and start looking for certain things. It would be best to have a meet & greet later in the day - preferably second day.

I can definitely make this happen.

Hey, if you guys have any specific things you'd love to see at the conference, or any questions, let me know...I'm one of the people in charge of the organizing! :-O

Emily,

A quick FAQ might keep ya from having to answer the same questions over and over... (obvioulsy, and youre already working on it I know :p )

who/what/when/where/how much/transportation issues/etc

I know I would like to attend the show/dinners/seminars/etc... but i cant stay for the field trips, is there a pricing option like that?

hoping someone does a kitchen TC seminar, that would be sweet... (hinting at David LOL)

(Mach and Warren could do pest control :) )

In addition to the big boys, we have a lot of talent right here at home imho

Thanks in advance kid

Emily,

A quick FAQ might keep ya from having to answer the same questions over and over... (obvioulsy, and youre already working on it I know :p )

who/what/when/where/how much/transportation issues/etc

I know I would like to attend the show/dinners/seminars/etc... but i cant stay for the field trips, is there a pricing option like that?

hoping someone does a kitchen TC seminar, that would be sweet... (hinting at David LOL)

Thanks in advance kid

What kind of beverages will be supplied in the hospitality room :p

What time does it start cause I would really like to attend the seminars and I def wanna hit up the vendors first thing but I have a 7 hr drive ahead of me and wanna plan accordingly

I'll be there! Got family living an hour away!

sweet! wow! field trip fee is 125? I might have to skip that one then. :(

Alright, here's the scoop.

The conference is August 11-13, 2012, and field trips will follow for several days afterward. The conference theme is "Conservation through Education." We in the New England Carnivorous Plant Society put on a huge (600+ guests) public show every year, and what we've found is everybody who sees these plants and learns about them instantly falls in love with them. With issues such as habitat loss continuing to threaten CPs in the wild, we feel that the best way to promote conservation of CPs is through teaching people about them and inspiring them to protect these unique plants.

Registration for the conference is $125 before April 15 and $175 after April 15. Registration includes Friday night activities, admission to all lectures and programs, VIP access to the CP show, lunch and coffee breaks during the 3 days, access to field trips (additional fee for the field trips, so if you only want to attend the conference part you're only paying for that part), access to banquet (I think a small fee).

The conference will be held at the Johnson and Wales Inn in Seekonk, MA. Seekonk is just over the RI/MA border and it's about a 10 minute drive from Providence. The closest airports are Providence (~20 minute drive), Boston (~1.5 hours), and New York (~3 hours). Providence is also easily accessible by bus and train. If you stay at the Inn, there are shuttles available from downtown Providence and PVD airport.

We have three rooms reserved for the conference, the main ballroom and two big conference rooms across the hall. The large conference room will be where we will have the main conference...academic lectures, etc. Where you rub elbows with the big guys.

In the small conference center, we're planning to have people give talks and classes on things that are more geared towards, say, a hobbyist/public crowd. Things like tissue culture, Nepenthes cuttings, or even more basic things like how to put a VFT through dormancy. All sorts of presentations...whatever it is that makes carnivorous plants special to YOU. This is really where we want to "walk the walk" when it comes to education and inspiring people to protect these plants. We would love to hear from you if you'd be interested in giving a presentation or lecture!!

And in the main ballroom, we're not only going to have vendors and information booths, but also our biggest carnivorous plant show EVAH! This event will be open to the public and admission will be about $5. We'll have hundreds of plants on display and all sorts of exhibits. One NECPS member is going to be displaying CP artwork, I can't wait to see it. Feel free to bring any plants you want to show off...I'm pretty sure we're going to be having judges and awarding ribbons.

Field trips. We're working on nailing down the details, but we have a few lined up so far. A couple of local bogs/day trips. We also have a few people who have generously offered to lead trips through the Jersey Pine Barrens and the Green Swamp. So we're gonna take a road trip!! :boogie:

Bringing your family/significant other? We'll have day trips available if they're just not that into CPs. :crazy:

As we compile the speaking programs, vendors, etc, we'll have that info available on our website. We also have a guy working on a local guide to other motels and hotels in the area, as well as restaurants, attractions, etc, and we'll post that as well.

There is a restaurant and full bar next door to the public lecture room.

Keep the questions coming! :-O

But ... where do I go to register? Website plz? :hail:

We're still working out a couple bugs...I'll post it very soon!!

Thez you can register right on the new england carnivorous plant society website. Presto what time does it alll start on Friday and is there an option to listen to the seminars and not have to pay for the feild trip fee?

concert shirts, goodie bags and backstage passes?

hehehehehe, printing up my fake "ICPS SECURITY" tee shirt

thanks Emily, it is appreciated... :)

Presto what time does it alll start on Friday and is there an option to listen to the seminars and not have to pay for the feild trip fee?

Not sure yet on start time, I think Friday night will just be relaxed informal activities as people arrive.

The conference/seminars and field trips are separate fees. So the $125 is just for the conference part, it'll be additional if you want to go on field trips. How much additional is still being determined.

... dang so if I just attend the vendors with the 5 dollar entrence fee I won't be able to listen to any of the speaking part?

hmm.... can u clarify how many total days incl the field trips? I would love to go on some field trips...my first one eva....at an ICPS conference. Would be awesome.

Arg, unfortunately, I've already booked our family for Las Vegas that whole week...

http://creationent.com/cal/stlv.htm

*sigh* This is the downside of having too many interests... :D

Bit the bullet and bought plane tickets today..... big owie

Arrival: Friday 5:14pm
Depature: Sunday 11:30am

Yeah I still haven't bought plane tix yet but I do still have that hotel reservation. I guess I'm seeing what my back surgeon says tomorrow about me traveling and such, and seeing how settling into a new apartment goes this summer first...

Enjoy! The dates just happen to overlap with my wedding. Don't think the wife to be would to happy if I skipped out on the wedding! LOL

We've decided to opt out on this one. Would rather spend the money at Cedar Point for Halloweekends. Haven't missed a year yet, and can't start now.

Back