What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer / Monitor Help

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was starting up the computer, business as usual. There was some error message and I ignored it. I logged on and saw that the screen had shrunk a bit. so I went to the control panel and attempted to expand the pixels, thinking maybe that 'Thanel changed the settings. I dragged the bar over a little and hit the apply tab. Then the monitor went black. I tried turning on and off but nothing happened. I took the monitor the local computer place and he hooked it up to a computer. the monitor was fine. Said that it could be the video card or the motherboard or a virus. Meanwhile, Rachel came over to use a computer to do online job applications. Lynn suggested bringing her brand new, bot even hooked up computer over to be a temporary fix. So I hooked up the new computer to our monitor and nothing happened. The power light on the monitor went from green to orange. I called the computer place and explained the situation. He said that the monitor wasn't receiving a signal. I asked if I could bring in both computer and monitor. He said a diagnostic would be $43. I tried having the monitor hooked up electrically but not connected to the computer and I got the same green-orange power indication. Somehow, the supposedly good minitor isn't receiving a signal from our existing computer, nor the brand new, unused computer. How could 2 computers be bad? And why would the monitor work with the computer place computer? From the library for now.....

maybe the cable is bad

I thought about that. The cable comes with the monitor. It's not like the power cord or the cable connector to the printer. I'm baffled as to why 2 computers can't get this monitor to work and why the monitor worked at the computer place.

Is there anyway you could try the computers on a second monitor?

I thought about that. The cable comes with the monitor. It's not like the power cord or the cable connector to the printer. I'm baffled as to why 2 computers can't get this monitor to work and why the monitor worked at the computer place.

You can name it "Murphy's law" or "demonstration effect".

That can be caused by a bad connector or a slack joint.

Both computers might be sent to a resolution that the monitor doesnt support...

I didn't have a second monitor available but my wife wants to by a new one for her and donate her existing one. My kid actually had the monitor working for awhile after I left, before it quit. But when I tried it this morning, it wouldn't. I hope that solves it and doesn't require a new video card or anything else.

Back