What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Website Closed

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'm unwilling to go through another half hour of frustration.

Not sure why, but this website is extrordinarily slow on my iPhone. It can load other proboard websites in a flash, but not terra forums! I finally got tired of trying to post a reply and having Safari crash, so I paid $3 for the proboards app. I tried to open it through the app and it said that *this* forum is temporarily closed, which is obviously not, however it let me browse other proboard forums. Just curious why this may be happening and if it can be fixed.

Also, is there a reason why this proboard my be slower than others?

Terraforums isnt a proboard forum.... I find only the first load is slow, after that its ok and definitely not frustrating on my iphone. 3G is slightly slower than wifi but still useable.

Just realized this doesn't have a proboards address, but I got a popup for the proboards app when I loaded the site.

Try minimizing the chat option.

works fine on Ipad running in wifi.

Site runs great on my droid phone. ;)

It loads slow on my Android and is hard to read. I don't try to access the site on my phone anymore, as it's frustrating waiting for it to load and then having to zoom to be able to read it.

Last edited:
It wrks great on the itouch

I really like Terraforums, but I hate how it performs on my phone. Most the other forums I use have a mobile version which perform just fine, but it costs money to achieve this in vBulletin, as discussed here: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128733

Fortunately my work hasn't blocked the forum yet, so I can still access it during my lunch break.

Last edited:
...and in an "emergency" (if the site does get blocked by your work) you can use the alternate address... www.cpfaq.org heh

I honestly haven't put that much effort into trying to make this more phone friendly... First, it works great on my bionic (and did on my last droid also) but also, I have already purchased the new version long ago... I just haven't had the time to do the testing and upgrade it... When I do, I will try to make a skin that is more phone friendly for those that seem to have problems... Minimizing the chat probably won't make it faster, but in your user cp, I believe there is an option to turn it off completely... that should not even load it making it a little bit faster.

Andrew

It loads slow on my Android and is hard to read. I don't try to access the site on my phone anymore, as it's frustrating waiting for it to load and then having to zoom to be able to read it.

Yup. It takes over 30 seconds for the page to load, then, when I try to scroll, it freezes up and takes another 30 seconds or more for it to calm down. After about ten minutes of waiting, I can get to where I can post a reply, but it will freeze during typing too!

I really like Terraforums, but I hate how it performs on my phone. Most the other forums I use have a mobile version which perform just fine, but it costs money to achieve this in vBulletin, as discussed here: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128733

Fortunately my work hasn't blocked the forum yet, so I can still access it during my lunch break.

Wait... So this is vBulletin? I think I'll buy the app as long as it is around $3. I can't deal with loading forever and ever. :-(

...and in an "emergency" (if the site does get blocked by your work) you can use the alternate address... www.cpfaq.org heh

I honestly haven't put that much effort into trying to make this more phone friendly... First, it works great on my bionic (and did on my last droid also) but also, I have already purchased the new version long ago... I just haven't had the time to do the testing and upgrade it... When I do, I will try to make a skin that is more phone friendly for those that seem to have problems... Minimizing the chat probably won't make it faster, but in your user cp, I believe there is an option to turn it off completely... that should not even load it making it a little bit faster.

Andrew

Great, I'll turn the chat completely off then. It's weird how it's fine for some people and it just can't work for others. Hopefully it will load easier when my contract ends and I can get a new iPhone.

Also, is there a reason why this proboard my be slower than others?

As others already said: This is no Proboard forum.

What about the Internet bitrate of your Internet connection? Is it slow?

If you are surfing on websites like Terraforums which have no optimized mobile versions for slow mobile connections, I'd suggest to use the alternative webbrowser "Opera Mini" for your iPhone. Opera Mini can be configured in different ways for slow connections, such as loading no pictures by default or loading pictures at reduced resolution. So Opera Mini can be up to six times faster on your iPhone than your default Safari browser (depends on website and browser configuration), escpecially on slow Internet connections.

TF is very slow to load on my iPhone compared to all of the ProBoards forums. TF also tends to "lock up" mobile Safari when switching between tabs. It gets to be very frustrating to access TF on iOS devices.

I'm having the same issues in my iPhone 4s. It will completely freeze in the middle of scrolling and then take time to unfreeze and resume, then freeze again. I don't experience it with any of the other forums nor any other webpages. I don't think it's because there's not a mobile version of the site, because many other sites don't have a mobile version and they don't display this issue. I also don't think it has to do with the chat since it doesn't just happen on the main page, but on all of them that don't display the chat window. I usually click on "New Posts" and then scroll through those, so I never really load the main page with the chat window.
Regardless, I still love this forum.

Its interesting people have such problems with TF. I have no problem viewing and using TF on my iphone in 3G mode. I dont use chat during 3G but chat is no problem when using wifi on my phone.

As others already said: This is no Proboard forum.

What about the Internet bitrate of your Internet connection? Is it slow?

If you are surfing on websites like Terraforums which have no optimized mobile versions for slow mobile connections, I'd suggest to use the alternative webbrowser "Opera Mini" for your iPhone. Opera Mini can be configured in different ways for slow connections, such as loading no pictures by default or loading pictures at reduced resolution. So Opera Mini can be up to six times faster on your iPhone than your default Safari browser (depends on website and browser configuration), escpecially on slow Internet connections.

My wireless connection is extremely fast, faster than most. I don't believe that's the issue. TF still won't work on my phone using other wireless connections.

TF is very slow to load on my iPhone compared to all of the ProBoards forums. TF also tends to "lock up" mobile Safari when switching between tabs. It gets to be very frustrating to access TF on iOS devices.

Yup. It locks up my tabs as well.

Its interesting people have such problems with TF. I have no problem viewing and using TF on my iphone in 3G mode. I dont use chat during 3G but chat is no problem when using wifi on my phone.

Lucky. This doesn't make sense that it would work on some iPhone 3G and not others.

Sorry for the confusion, its an iPhone 4, but the connection I was talking about was 3G vs WIFI.

This site gives me fits on my itouch. It is a small one so nit much men. Even after turning the chat off. I'm on my fire now and it is better. TF I find is slow at times.

This forum crashes my Android phone browser (Dolphin). Runs, but very slowly and choppy on my old laptop. Runs fine on my desktop. But, no other forums do this in my experience. Even 'heavy' sites such as flikr run fine on my android phone and laptop, yet this forum gives them fits. Weird.

Back