What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIracle fruit growth progress

These are two points on my miracle fruit plant that have started showing signs of healthy new growth since receiving it two months ago. I will be adding a pic for each every couple days to keep track of its progress and to document time-logs for its growth since I haven't seen any published so far.

----------------------------------------------------
Section 1:

12/20/11: Small two branches from middle are new. Flower buds showing (first blooming!)
dc46d153.jpg

12/21/11:
e115a1e0.jpg

12/22/11
b472d723.jpg

12/27/11
b47b68fb.jpg

1/3/12
cab269b1.jpg

1/7/12
8a3a47a2.jpg

1/13/12
2d442c4d.jpg

1/16/12
5124e6d6.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Section 2:
12/21/11: A couple flower buds showing (first blooming!) and new leaf growth. Look at middle of pic not the part I'm holding.
d507921d.jpg

12/22/11
e068c68d.jpg

12/27/11
a1c5d86b.jpg

1/3/12
d9eb044d.jpg

1/7/12
da55caf1.jpg

1/13/12
76623929.jpg

-----------------------------------------
MiracleFruitFlowersText.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Doomsday!

Saw the thing on Dr oz about these. Are they herd to grow??

*Daily Update*

@Dionae... Thanks! This is one of my fave plants so it is awesome seeing it start growing after getting over shipping stress.

@JB.... It is growing well for me, but they are difficult and extremely slow growing. Mine didn't grow even a millimeter that I could see since early November when I got it. If you do get one, they need low pH, high temps, and high humidity.

A pic a day? That's a little... extreme, isn't it? these things aren't exactly bamboo, you know!

maybe and itll probably be like 100 pics eventually lmao but I want to get at leat these two full day-by-day time lapse so i can know what to expect from my plant in the future in terms or growth rates.

Lol, always wanted one of these.

You're really going crazy. It reminds me of my and my N. argentii when I first received it. There were new pics every couple days.

We'll see how long you can keep this daily thing going...

:lol:

Lol, always wanted one of these.

You're really going crazy. It reminds me of my and my N. argentii when I first received it. There were new pics every couple days.

We'll see how long you can keep this daily thing going...

:lol:

Ya lmao. Worst case scenario I make it bi-weekly or weekly, but it shouldn't be to hard since its just a quick to pics to snap on my iphone and upload straight from there to Photobucket.
If I get fruit on any of the flowers I'll be able to know how long it should take in the future to have an idea if they are gonna be fruit bearing flowers or not. And Iwould liek to see the new growth change a bit to see how fast it should grow.

lmao ik christmas got in the way!!!!!!! Ill post some pics tonight...

Pretty neat for sure. Is that the big leaf species?
I am also curious though how does one use it in er every day life other than as a novelty thing for when friends come over? Any plans on how you could incorporate it into meals?

Oh woops. I didn't see your post. It is S. Dulcificum. Not the big leaf one. I heard that one doesn't produce miraculin in the berries which is what makes them special. Not sure though since there have been some reports of 'fake' big leaf ones going around and being another form instead.

I love the novelty of it, but what really caught my attention was the fact that you can eat one and then drink water with a squirt of lemon in it and it will be liek lemonade with 0 calories, or even ~0cal tea with lemon and no sugar because the lemon makes it sweet and lemony but not sour and intolerable. I also hear its great to eat with fruit because it makes it taste better, like bitter, sour blackberries or not so perfect strawberries... I am going to be experimenting alot though and I'll post my results definately!

The lemon water idea was interesting because I was cutting soda and other drinks out for a long time and only drank lemon water but that gets boring after a while... 6 months of just that is rough :lol:

Awsome Doom , cant wait till you get to try your first fruit!

Updated again... big growth change. its growing much faster than I expected!

No worries..
I might have to try one at somepoint. Would be interesting to use before having some iced tea with a bit of lemon and no sugar.

No worries..
I might have to try one at somepoint. Would be interesting to use before having some iced tea with a bit of lemon and no sugar.

YA same here.. Usweetened Iced tea with squeeze of lemon would probably be really good with a miracle fruit.. Ill definately be trying that.

As you can see in the pics, my plant is growing quite well now that it has acclimated. Im really glad it likes my conditions because it is supposed to be very difficult to grow well. I dont know yet if these flowers will turn to fruit (the two that it came with as sheathed buds didnt. one opened but no fruit and the other didnt open yet but it is still there) or just fall off... Either way Im happy its flowering and growing vegetative growth as well... If they dont turn to fruit I will probably just give it some more acidic fertilizer to drop the ph a notch or two but I am confident Ill have some fruit in the spring or sumer esp. when its warmer.. RIght now its high 60's like 68ish to low 70's like 73 max aorund the midle of the bag. Very humid though.. I dont have it drained yet which i was worreid about but it doesnt seem to care ???

update...3 pics.. one is pretty cool :)

Looking good! Lots of nice buds coming along. Seems like that they should be capable of producing quite a few fruit on a regular basis once settled in.

Back