What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Technological breakthroughs of 2011

lance

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder
I thought you guys would like to see some big technological breakthroughs that I have seen in magazines this year that have BLOWN my mind :0o: . Heres a look back at the most amazing ones I have seen this year.

Two visible diamonds quantomly entangled

What?! This one sounds like a science fiction movie setup...
" It's a strange effect where one object gets connected to another so that even if they are separated by large distances, an action performed on one will affect the other. " This is huge news because quantom entanglement was performed on the "atomic size" just this year. Two scientists selected 2 atoms, put them in a nitrogen cold environment, and entangled them. Now, they have entangled two visible diamonds at room tempature? This is huge news, especially for the computer industry. Quantom entangled circut boards could relay information back and forth at the speed of light from one to the other, making computers move REALLY FAST. No more loading bars...

Heres more info on it: http://www.livescience.com/17264-quantum-entanglement-macroscopic-diamonds.html

Spray-on skin for flesh wounds

Ever have a nasty flesh wound and don't have a blood type doner? Well now theres spray on skin. A sample of your skin is taken and put into a solution that tells the cells to rapidly make copies of themselves. The skin sample taken multiplies about 90 times its size after only 30 minutes! The sample can then be sprayed onto the wound where the cells attach and heal the wound. It can even take away scars too!

Heres more info on it: http://news.discovery.com/tech/spray-on-skin-kit-111121.html

Big Developments in cancer treatments

There have been many developments for cancer this year but I will name off the ones that I can think of reading. First off, a mole on a uncommon sea snail was found to hold a certain type of compound that tells white blood cells to kill the cancer (because the body doesn't know). There was also some guy who developed mutated super white blood cells that where programmed to kill the infected cells in blood cancer patients. After a few weeks a trials, the patients 1 pound of tumor had disappeared.

First Earth sized exo-planets found

Scientists have been finding exo-planets the size of jupiter since 2000, but now two planets were found that are respectively 103 and 98 percent of earths diameter. They are super hot planets, but this leads us closer to finding alien life. Also, the first planet to orbit in the habitable zone was found this year. The habitable zone the place between every star where liquid water can exist on a planet close to the size of earth with an atmosphere. The planet is 3 times the diameter of earth.

Un- tethered planets could out number stars

Scientists have found the first planets that aren't orbiting around anything. There are rare cases where jupiter sized planets are thrown out of orbit during a stars birth, or flung out by other intercepting planets. Now, these rare occurances could be more common than the 300 billion stars that exist in our galaxy. The 10 loner planets found were in a very small area of the night sky, making the possible chances of more exo-planets boom.

Thats all the major ones I could think of now, but right now I need to go to bed for X mas tommorow. Looking back on all of these you really think of how lucky we are to be living in a reveloution of new ideas and discoveries. It truly is a great time to be alive. Merry Christmas Everyone!! Hope you enjoy!!

Lance

Now all we need is some spray on skin for plant cells! :D

Very interesting, especially the Quantum Entanglement, a topic I became familiar with a few days ago, they say maybe that's how telepathy is possible.

As a nuclear guy, the quantum entanglement was pretty big news. Quantum effects are a completely different game than newtonian physics, and the applicability of things like this could be wide spread!
Also, the finding of planets that could possibly support life as we know it one earth is becoming reality, and we should see many more in the years to come now that the ball is rolling!

Quantum entanglement could lead to FTL communication between colonies!

Unfortunately, our current understanding of physics prevents any form of FTL communication. While the information is transmitted instantaneously, we can in no way affect the information that is sent, only observe. It's like if we listened to random raindrops on a roof and tried to translate morse code from it.

Back