What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

computer game Q for idiots

Hi,
If I bought a old D&D game off eBay that is compatible for Windows Vista and XP.....does that mean I need to play it on a old pc, as we have Windows 7?

Thanks,

JOe

I'm pretty sure that Windows 7 is compatible with programs for previous versions, so it'll work I'm sure.

If it runs on Vista it should run on Windows 7 though you might have to use the compatibility mode.

If you have Win7 Ultimate or Professional you can always download the XP Mode virtual PC but you probably won't get full 3D graphics support.

I created a character-there does not seem to be any direction to go from there to play, lol.
Maybe I should un-install and see if I did something wrong...

I created a character-there does not seem to be any direction to go from there to play, lol.
Maybe I should un-install and see if I did something wrong...

If nothing else helps, read the manual or ask a minor teenager how to play the game.
:-D

Under normal circumstances any game "Designed for Windows XP" should also run under later versions of Windows (exceptions are possible).

In any case you'd have to pay attention to the "minimum hardware requirements" such like processor speed, RAM, DirectX version and more.

And: In some cases the installation of games will need Windows "administrator" rights to install the game fully working, while later versions of Windows than WIN/XP create "standard users" with limited user rights writing to certain directories by default. So if the problem occurs while the game was installed and started as a "standard user" of Windows, you could try to install and play as an "administrator" and see if there is any difference in working functions.

The only instances I've run into trouble with older software is with the installation program. For instance on my XP Pro 64 bit quad core I had a hell of a time trying to install things. Anything with a 16 bit installer program would not install on XP 64, the disk wouldn't even register as being in the drive. This happened even on newer software written to work on 32 and 64 bit OS, anytime the installer program was 16 bit.... really frustrating.

Occasionally I could copy the entire DVD to a large ROM card using another computer and install it through the Rom card stuck in my desktops USB port, sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't. I eventually gave up on XP 64 bit and downgraded my desktop to a 32 bit Home version of XP and everything was fine. I dunno if they ever made a fix for 64 OS's so they no longer have that glitch?

Have you downloaded and installed all the latest game patches? Are your video and audio drivers up to date?

No and no clue. I would not believe a pc bought in 2009 pc is too outdated for games I once played in 2000, but what do I know?

Back