What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll start with the most obvious.. empty milk jugs for RO water.

IMG_9649.jpg

Beanie Baby cubes & Lowe's death cubes. All drilled out and ready for use.

IMG_9647.jpg

They make great clear pots for cephs and regia, which have really long roots. Also going to be converting my tuberous dew collection to these pots come spring.

IMG_9630.jpg

or just keep them solid for use as a small terrrarium. Death cubes can be good for something. D. schizandra

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

Got this from the grocery store filled with fruit chunks. Working wonders for my regia root cuttings.

IMG_9631.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

Ever indulge in a hot fudge sundae or a yogurt cup from McDonald's?

IMG_9637.jpg

They make great propagation cups for nep cuttings, drosera seedlings.. whatever tickles your fancy.

IMG_9640.jpg

When it's time to remove the lids for acclimation, don't throw them out. They fit those smaller pots perfectly.

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

And that makes my N. macrophylla seedling happy..

IMG_9643.jpg

Need a lid for a square pot? Potato salad containers work perfectly..

IMG_9644.jpg

Last edited:
Cool ideas, never thought of using a death cube that way but it sure looks like it will work well

Cool ideas, never thought of using a death cube that way but it sure looks like it will work well

I've been having a heck of a time finding tall pots that weren't super wide. These did the trick perfectly. And my favorite color is clear.. :awesome:

Awesome post... Im glad im not the only one with stacks of containers everywhere. lol. It drives my husband nuts.

Awesome post... Im glad im not the only one with stacks of containers everywhere. lol. It drives my husband nuts.
I bet I've got you beat. I've got ALL KINDS of plastic stuffs around. My wife brings me home from work all these weird containers that stuff was displayed in. Like those hexagonal bins chapstick and stuff is displayed in / sold out of. Got lots of those. I've got round bowl-type things with black skeleton hands on 'em (looks like a skeleton is holding the bowl), figure those will make cool Halloween pieces. Haha. And, of course, I've got a bazillion of the grocery store bakery clam-shell things that muffins and stuff come in.

Confessions of a container hoarder..

So many ideas.....

sure do look nice all lined up..

IMG_9651.jpg

Niiiiiiice!

I like those ceph planters!!

I always re-use good looking containers for CPs. I have this clear plastic chocolate box I use for cuttings, and I use tonnes of pudding cups as pots! Lol. I'll get a pic up tomorrow if I remember..

Mass, this post was a true inspiration for some things I will surely try to implement. Thank you!

Mass, this post was a true inspiration for some things I will surely try to implement. Thank you!

Just doing my part to not be wasteful.. ;)

Impressive McGiverisms!

Paha! I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D

Oh dont forget those plastic chinese food containers! :)

I reuse plastic grocery bags. Don't know what those could be used for other than to keep the humidity up, but they block out light. Greenhouse insulation? Haha. :blush:

the plastic grocery bags are great to reuse as grocery bags lol

Those tall, clear containers do look awesome all in a row like that!

Plastic grocery bags we keep and reuse as little trash bags for all sorts of clean-ups and what not. Great for scooping the cat box where it'd be wasteful to use a big bag but you don't want it staying in the house while you fill it up the rest of the way either. Hangs nicely on any doorknob, fits most small bathroom trash cans, great to have a few in the car (in the event of an oopsie they can be a lifesaver as a barf bag, I know from experience :blush:)

And don't forget the less attractive plastics like old butter tubs can be used lots of ways and if you like you can just spray paint the outside. I've cut some down and spray painted the outside to make water dishes to put my pots in.

i just had a thought. what if you layered sand, pepples, and peat in the recycled death cube ceph planter? by using different kinds of natural sand in different shades, it would be like sand art.

i just had a thought. what if you layered sand, pepples, and peat in the recycled death cube ceph planter? by using different kinds of natural sand in different shades, it would be like sand art.

Way ahead of you.. but I was out of pebbles, and nearly out of sand.

Back