What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet thanks for the info swords!

Lovin' that Pseudolithos migiurtinus! "Poop Cactus"!!! har!

Here's some updates:

N. bellii x northiana 1st pitcher:
belliixnorthiana13.jpg

N. bellii x northiana 2nd pitcher:
belliixnorthiana14.jpg

SG N. edwardsiana #1 in 6" pot:
eddysg1-4.jpg

SG N. edwardsiana #2 in 6" pot:
eddysg2-4.jpg

N. gymnamphora x dubia has begun climbing and pitchers are starting to change... can't wait to see uppers!
fyodor8.jpg

fyodor9.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

I'm more excited about seeing your stuff grow than I am my own. Nice looking vogelii sneaking in a smile there..

Everything looks awesome! :oops:
I'm super jelly....I wish I could grow lowlanders :p

NIce plants!! love the eddies!

My horticultural manhood certainly feels threatened! :0o:

Would it be possible to see some pitcher closeups on the eddies?

Excellent update! The bellii x northiana is too cool! I don't know why that one is more common. oh wait, how finicky is it? Love the gymnamphora x dubia. The uppers should be pretty wild.

Since the awe with respect to the edwardsianas is obvious, I've gotta say that gymnamphora x dubia is turning out really well. Can't wait to see what all of these look like a year from now.

wow!! Those eddies are unbelievable. Great job Swords. keep it up.

Beautiful plants Swords!

Wow... bellii x northiana is so amazing. I love it.

Thanks folks! :)

I only saw the N. bellii x northiana available once but I just had to buy it. I hope to get it growing really well and begin propagating it. It did inherit northiana's finickiness and it hates changes in light. It took like 7 months to settle and start growing and pitchering decently and then I recently I changed the cover over it and burned the two leaves these pitchers are on... sigh. New leaves since the cover switch are nice and green but it totally hates change! LOL

Newest eddie leaves are significantly larger than earlier models - they're trying to tell you that you're doing something right - keep it up!

Swords can you please give some more details on your setup...lighting, air circulation, cooling (IIRC you do the same thing as me, vent in outside air to cool the tank)? I think after my disaster, might as well update the tank to make it more efficient growing environment.

very nice swords! everything is looking so nice!

Thanks! The eddies are now finally going to surpass the size they were when they arrived (2 1/2 - 3"). They arrived all green and then turned blood red and the leaves grew in thicker and at half size and then slowly worked their way back up in size. Hopefully the one wanting to form next to the rim will stay above the moss and I can get a good pic of the pitchers. They like to bury themselves with just the opening and lid poking up from the moss.

This is a look at my setup in summer:

hlcontrol.jpg

A Zoomed Hygrotherm controller for cooling fan and humidifier

B Hygrotherm display settings in this pic 95% RH and 71*F

C Ultrasonic humidifier

D 4" PC fan blowing into a 4" aluminum duct hangs on a room fan until night time when I hang the fan directly infront of the AC. This way even when the hygrotherm isn't triggering the cooling fan there is a slight breeze wafting through the HL enclosure. Just enough to ruffle the humboldtii leaves. :)

E I only do this exact AC setup in summer (in a warm climate I would likely have to do this year round), in winter the fan is simply mounted with two screws to the wooden window frame, I adjust the temp by opening and closing the window based on how cold it is outside. In subzero temps I don't have to open the window even a crack, the surface temp of the glass is cold enough to drop the tank to 40-50*F. As outdoor temps rise I open the window by varying amounts from just open a half inch to full open in late spring. I use a piece of wood to cover the other 14" of the open window leaving just the area for the fan open so the house doesn't get cold.

thanks very much Swords. You have given me various points that I can fix in my setup. But first, since I don't want to risk drilling in my glass and I need to get air in, I will have to fabricate a air inlet tube that has to work in a convoluted way. I am trying to draw up plans for it today and perhaps start working on it this weekend. Now that even my villosa's growth point has died, I guess it truly is a fresh start and I might as well not cheap out and get the zilla hygrotherm. My setup is almost exactly yours but I keep the window open and it is direct fresh air in.

Btw...what lighitng do you use? T5? how many? at what distance?

thanks again

Varun

In this setup I'm using 4x 54 watt T5 HO lamps, the lights are about 18-20" above the plants depending on plant size, some like the vining N. gymnamphora x dubia and N. thorelii x aristo are closer. I'm going to be building a new larger HL chamber in spring and I will be adding another 2-4 lamps depending on how large I end up making it.

Thanks for the info Swords. I guess that is the sweet spot for these lights. Well, now that I have 8 tube T5, I think I should get enough light at 30-40".

Back