What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle's Carnivorous Basement Adventures [Picture HEAVY]

Kyle,

Beautiful plants! If you dont mind me asking what is the mix that you are using for mexican pings and proportion? I see turface, lava rocks (pouzzolanes), coarse sand, anything else?

Thank you!

Thank ye, duders.

@gill_za: 2/1/1 turface/sand/lava rock. Well done! LOL!

Just one more thing I was playing around with:

Untitled12.png

Love the moctezumae shot Kyle!

Thanks, Drew. ^.^

wow, the things I'd do...if i only weren't in poverty right now XD
Fantastic work with everything.

missed this last pic, nice shot. :bigthumpup: You should come over and rephotograph all my stuff for me. Maybe you can make my plants look better that way.

Thanks you two.

@mass: I'm told the going rate is $100/hour. ^.^

Little update. Think I'm going to experiment with some new ideas the next few days.

Baby Pinguicula 'Titan'
1%20(1).png

1%20(2).png

Baby Drosera dichrosepala subsp. enodes "Scott's River"
1%20(5).png

1%20(6).png

Utricularia livida
1%20(12).png

Utricularia pubescens
1%20(14).png

1%20(13).png

(above image is a stack; dunno why Photoshop decided to play nice with that one...)
1%20(15).png

Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides
1%20(16).png

Stylidium debile (FINALLY FLOWERED!!! :spazz:)
1%20(11).png

1%20(9).png

1%20(10).png

Some orchids (I really like the "profile" shots)
1%20(7).png

1%20(8).png

1%20(4).png

1%20(3).png

Nice Pics Kyle!
Really shows the beauty of these plants!
:bigthumpup:

stunning photos

Absolutely amazing. :drool: Those orchid shots, and all of the others, are quite impressive.

Great shots dude.. Overall a little dark this time around, but super good otherwise.. I really like the pygmy pics, and the orchid profile shot...

Great show, Kyle. Very nice and clean setup and what amazing photography! :)

Great pics, as always. :hail:

Many thanks, everyone. ^.^

@Brie: LOL, whoops. I changed my gamma a while ago for a game and forgot to reset it. >.< They should look better now. Thanks.

Dang! Those are some awesome macro shots!

Two questions:

1) What are the tubes your are using for leaf cuttings? They look pretty cool.

2) What background are you using? The photos look amazing with the black contrast.

Amazing,

Will

the utric and orchid shots....soooo smexy....

Thank ya, guys.
@brinkerh420: They're just glass test tubes from somewhere on Amazon. They don't seem to be working, though. Nothing is doing anything. Nothing's dying, but nothing's growing either, lol. I just use black felt for the background. It's more of a lighting thing though. You can use virtually anything that's dark as the background and get a black background like that if you light it properly.

In other news, after talking with Brie a little bit, I decided to try and totally recalibrate my monitor. Some day I'll get a really nice monitor and a Spyder3 to calibrate it, but I can't afford that nonsense right now. After tinkering with things and being utterly unhappy, I had a sort of epiphany. The screen on my camera -must- be calibrated, it would be silly if they weren't calibrated well on DSLRs. So I held the camera up to my monitor and did the best I could to make my monitor look just like the screen on the camera, lol. I think it worked out well.

Before:
1%20(8).png

After:
orchnew.png

So hopefully future photoshoots look a little nicer.

Back