What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First the macros..

D. capillaris 'Long Arm'

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_9832.jpg

IMG_9840.jpg

I didn't think D. brevifolia went dormant. But they've been like this for months.

IMG_9841.jpg

the always underrated D. aliciae

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

D. slackii slowly recovering..

IMG_9844.jpg

D. madagascariensis

IMG_9855.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

D. multifida f. extrema

IMG_9856.jpg

D. ascendens (Serra de Ponta Grossa, Campo Largo ~ Parana, Brazil) seedlings. Also some wild rotunds coming up in the LFS I used.

IMG_9862.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

D. graomogolensis seedlings..

IMG_9866.jpg

makin' babies..

IMG_9869.jpg

New round of pitchers coming up..

IMG_9846.jpg

Then I started messing with the f-stop.. nothing turned out after that. These are junk IMO. Yes, more so than the others.:rolleyes:

IMG_9834.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9875.jpg

And tossed the wide angle lens on to snap a quick blurry pic of the workshop.

IMG_9881.jpg

Wow holy macros batman! Awesome stuff!!

So on those macros where you say you messed with the fstop.. Are those like, 100% zooms or something that you cropped, or as is?

as is at a f-200..

Thats some mighty fine macro work, buddy! Nicely done. :p

as is at a f-200..

Do you mean 20? There is no f-200... there's an ISO 200 though... Which would make more sense due to the noise in the photos...

My guess is you took them at f-20 and left ISO to automatic, which would have made the camera push the ISO wayyyyyyy high in order to get a "reasonable" exposure time. You need to put that puppy in full manual, turn ISO to a low setting (preferably 100), turn f-stop to somewhere in the ballpark of f-16, then go for it. Those settings will necessitate a very long exposure time, so you'll NEED a tripod and at least use the timer function if not a remote release.

But that said...

Those other pictures are freaking amazing. I'm seriously impressed with your camera's abilities and, more so, your growing talent. Keep it up, you're making huuuge progress and your shots are seriously looking spectacular.

Brie, I thought there is less noise with the lower ISO. I wouldnt think 200 would cause that much noise.

EDIT: Just read Kyle's post, think hes spot on with his explanation of what may have happened.

No, that's certainly not ISO 200. That looks more like ISO 800 or even 1600 if the camera goes that high. o_O

Upon inspecting EXIF data... are you POSITIVE you used that aperture? EXIF data is showing an aperture of f/5.6. It's also showing an exposure time of 1/316, which is wayyyy too fast. That, like I said, is going to force the camera to take the shot at a really high ISO. If you're lucky, with ISO 100 and an aperture around f/16, you'll need an exposure more like 1/8 or 1/4 of a second. That's why I said a tripod and remote release are good ideas, hahah.

Like I said, throw that thing in full manual and then experiment.

I'm a moron.. Still learning as I go.

ISO 200
f/5.6
tripod and remote were used.

I have no idea what's going on right now.. but will make note of the suggested settings next time.
Anyone know about D. brevifolia and dormancy?

These pictures suck.

Ah you know I'm kidding. Very cool pics. I hope to get a better camera pretty soon, so I can add my own macro shots.

Dude...awsome pics. I can finally try doing some stuff like that. I just got my new tripod that I bought myself for christmas. Can't wait to try stacking pics now. :D

Wish I had CS5 on the temporary computer I'm using. Wanted to do some more stacks.

Last edited:
While I will agree that there is room for improvement, really I think you did quite a fine job all things considered. As with most anything, there is a learning curve with photography and "playing around" with your camera's settings is part of how you get there. :)

n61a94fmzov.gif

Amazing! :) Haha, I love the D. brevifolia. :D

Amazing! :) Haha, I love the D. brevifolia. :D

Thanks Fern. That was actually my runner up for pic of the day. I love the red contrasted against the green..

Back