What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carnivorous plant companions?

Building a paladrium... it'll take a few months but ill add pics and what not as I go... its still early in the process but I'm trying to pick out some good companion plants for cps. I'm not huge into neps but id like to have a n. Bicalardia.... (spelling) if anyone happens to have one or have any leads on 1. Philodendrons seem to be to large and will block out substantial light. Looking for a vine species. Maybe some bromeliads. Or any other ideas anyone may have. Current project is a 29 gallon tall hexagon. Will have full misting system and a waterfall. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you mean N. bicalcarata? Those plants get about 8 feet wide.....

For companion plants I'd go with some small bromeliads and epiphytical orchids. Sphagnum moss would make a good carpet.

Okay. Yeh that's what I ment. Yeh I know they get pretty large but I wouldn't mind owning one. Are there any species of neps that stay relativly small? I need to find someone willing to trade me for some sphagnum moss. I had live sphag at one point but when I sterlized it it killed it... so now I just have sphag.

N. bellii, campantulata, adnata, and N. gracilis are the only two lowland dwarf I can think of.
For highlanders you have N. glabrata, jamban, jacquelineae, talangensis, tentaculata, argentii, gymnamphora, micramphora, dubia, tenuis, etc. There are a lot more dwarf highlanders than lowlanders.

I have plugs of species/site specific Sphag. I'm holding onto the more compact growers for a bit longer, but I have plenty of larger specimens.

Would you be willing to trade for any sphag and I wanna grow cephs, dews and other australian species together. What about n.mirabilis? Trying to keep to atleast to australia. As for moss tho idk if id be so luck any kind of live sphag would work since I think is grows all around the world

PM me with what you want to trade. I have an entire salsa cup of Newport News Sphag I can part with.

N. mirabilis can get pretty big, depending on the variety/form. What's the footprint of the tank? 29 gallons would be perfect for Cephalotus, pygmy Drosera (those hate Sphagnum though), rosetted dews, terrestrial Utricularia, and a small Byblis.

Here's a website of other Australian plants that might work
http://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?filter=true&key=category&value=C

Im thinking right now that i might make the tank a larger size i have been collecting materials for the past couple weeks and i know that there is going to be a couple months put into this project so i may have a larger space to work with. If that is the case then i may be able to add larger species.

Back