What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dried Live Sphagnum

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
My beloved live sphagnum dried out almost completely over just two days in a 75% humidity greenhouse. How that is possible is beyond me, but when I got to it a moment ago, it was almost dry. It was very slightly moist, but very crisp. Some parts are still green, but the growth tips aren't as soft anymore. So how will I know if it is dead or alive? Will it turn completely brown when dead? :-(

If its dead it will be brown in a day or two. Same thing has happened to me before.

My beloved live sphagnum dried out almost completely over just two days in a 75% humidity greenhouse. How that is possible is beyond me, but when I got to it a moment ago, it was almost dry. It was very slightly moist, but very crisp. Some parts are still green, but the growth tips aren't as soft anymore. So how will I know if it is dead or alive? Will it turn completely brown when dead? :-(

It's magic.

Mine normally bounces back after a heavy watering.

So, since sphagnum doesn't grow anywhere around here, I am getting a friend in another state that has sphagnum to look for some. I sent them lots of pictures and a detailed description of the moss, plus instructions for collection and shipping. However, I don't know where to tell them to look for it. They own a large farm with a large pond, a forest, an open field, a few water holes, ect. It will be collected on their private property, so they technically own it and they're just giving it to me for free. I told them to look around the edge of the pond and anywhere else that is really damp. They live in Virginia by the way, if that makes a difference. They said they would look near their neighbor's ponds (with permission) too. Am I on the right track? Where would it most likely be found, other than a bog? There aren't really any bogs around them, to my knowledge. ???

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Mine normally bounces back after a heavy watering.

Good to know. It's still green and the green growth tips are fluffy and soft, but the brown growth tips feel hard still. I think it should still be good. :banana2:

If yu just keep it wet with a wate rlevel that isnt submergintg it it will grow back.. I let some of mine dry out completely and i am using it for spores...

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

As a matter of fact, I almost let my sphag cups for propagation dry out today... I wouldve been sooooo tight cuz it would be my last extra thats not potted and i have two cups of red 3 of green.... But i caught it and watered in time :)

This summer when the temps kick up i might bag them all to prevent that.. And i bet theyd like the humidity.

If yu just keep it wet with a wate rlevel that isnt submergintg it it will grow back.. I let some of mine dry out completely and i am using it for spores...

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

As a matter of fact, I almost let my sphag cups for propagation dry out today... I wouldve been sooooo tight cuz it would be my last extra thats not potted and i have two cups of red 3 of green.... But i caught it and watered in time :)

This summer when the temps kick up i might bag them all to prevent that.. And i bet theyd like the humidity.

If you collected it on your own, where did you find the sphagnum? Around a pond? In a muddy area of the forest? In the middle of a wet field? ???

If you bought it, where did you get the red sphag from?

I traded for mine.. I wish I had a place to go collect but im in NYC so the best I can collect is some gravel or asphalt within an hour of driving :lol:

However, I have a good bunch of dried red sphag but it had spiderwebby things in it when i let it dry and i thought that was fungus but idk.. I might try to revive some of it to see if that crap happens again...

I am propagating it for use and trade though in the future so keep in touch if you're interested.

I'm really good at finding Sphagnum. It's generally in flatwoods, or other low lying areas. It's common around wetlands and springs. Basically, the same area you'd CPs.

I'm really good at finding Sphagnum. It's generally in flatwoods, or other low lying areas. It's common around wetlands and springs. Basically, the same area you'd CPs.

Thanks. I'll let the person know exactly where to find it now. :)

I guess you shoulda taken me up on my offer of Sphagnum from my greenhouse ;-)

I guess you shoulda taken me up on my offer of Sphagnum from my greenhouse ;-)

Sorry, haha. Slipped my mind actually. But my friend said they would take twenty mega-sized ziplock bags and stuff them full. They would collect tons if they found a lot. I don't even think people who sell it commercially have that much. They didn't have that much at the nep store I shop at. I want loads of it. I'm planning to cover 2/3 of the greenhouse floor in live sphagnum if I can get enough, to keep up the humidity of course. :blush:

At least 30 taxa of Sphagnum in North America are considered vulnerable, rare or endangered and may be protected by state or local laws.

At least 30 taxa of Sphagnum in North America are considered vulnerable, rare or endangered and may be protected by state or local laws.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely have the person collecting look into the endangered species to make sure what I'm receiving isn't going to hurt the wild population.

Sorry, haha. Slipped my mind actually. But my friend said they would take twenty mega-sized ziplock bags and stuff them full. They would collect tons if they found a lot. :

Whooahhh! I don't think it's a good idea to plunder any site for Sphagnum, regardless of how much there might be. To be discouraged, IMO. Learn to grow your own from a few thoughtfully collected samples, especially since you have not yet mastered the cultivation of it, by your own admission.

Whooahhh! I don't think it's a good idea to plunder any site for Sphagnum, regardless of how much there might be. To be discouraged, IMO. Learn to grow your own from a few thoughtfully collected samples, especially since you have not yet mastered the cultivation of it, by your own admission.

This is what I do. I collect a single plug or sandwich size ziplock bag (depending on size of spread) and culture it like this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTPSDguqk8&list=UUQ7kyI9GHOu6BMf_YUguc5w&index=1&feature=plcp

You're right, I really shouldn't be taking so much from the wild population. It is in private property though. The guy collecting for me may not even find any. I'll tell him to be mindful of the population of sphagnum in the area.

My person went down to their private farm and found a few patches of what they believe is sphagnum. Growing in stands, the growth points look like little pompoms, green/yellow-orange/brown. They've been told to leave a lot so that it can grow back. :-D

Any pics of it?

Back