What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid question, but must be asked

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Greetings. I'm going on a nature hike in early March to photograph some local carnivorous plants (Sarracenia minor, Pinguicula species, Drosera, etc).

What sort of shoes should I wear? I need to hike about a mile or two to the best possible CP location from the reserve's parking lot. It's an asphalt trail (used for biking) and then it's sort of a marshy area.

I first wanted to wear my moccasin boots (hear me out) because I love soft-soled footwear because I can feel everything I walk over. It makes me feel more in tune with nature and they are extremely comfortable. However, the CPs will likely be in a marshy area and I don't think leather will work well in wet ground. Therefore, I've been thinking about rubber boots, but I don't know how comfortable they will be hiking long distances.

Hiking boots are an option, but I would prefer boots that I can tuck pants into so nothing crawls or flies up them while I'm walking among the brush.

So, it seems like a foolish question, but I've honestly been debating myself with this.

hiking boots would work well or wear moccasins and carry rubber boots, watch out for snakes and gaters

Rubber boots, definitely. You get used to them IME...LOL

I made the mistake of wearing regular shoes for fieldwork in boggy areas. Those shoes have never been the same since. Personally, I like Hi-Tec boots. They're completely waterproof, so you don't have to worry about water seeping through the shoelace holes.

Moccasin boots are the best, but these guys are right. I just wear cheap rubber boots when I'm in areas like that.

I always make a point of wearing non-waterproof hiking shoes when I am in swampy areas. It sucks when water gets into a water tight boot and you can't lift your feet. Since the water can drain out, running shoes don't get waterlogged even in deep water (although you do have wet feet.)

http://www.xtratufboots.com/Pages/default.aspx

These ^ ^

Everyone that lives here wears them and they are very water proof, very good boots.

Also when hiking around in bogs during the summer I do it in bare feet or sandals because it just cuts down on weight and I really don't care about getting my feet wet. It feels kind of cool actually. . .

But the only problem with that is the venomous critters in Florida.. :poke:

Venomous snakes, leeches, sharp rocks and glass, giant water bugs, black widows, etc. Best to go completely close toed.

Back