What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

slimy moss

anybody know of anything that can kill algae growing on soil surface without damaging drosera seedlings?

I have tried cinnamon and it worked well, but only in small quantities.. which means it only works for small quantities of slime.

ive tried cinnamon for mold and it didnt seem to work. ive been spraying a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide on the surface each day. it doesnt seem to affect the seedlings, nor the algae. so ive been trying stronger and stronger and im almost to the point where i'd have to use it straight from the bottle. still no effect.... i guess im going to have to just try and transplant them to fresh stuff

Best you can do is scoop off what you can of the slime. Drying out the media as much as possible without drying out the seedlings helps too.

If cinnamon was effective it was probably that it dessicated the slime more than any anti-fungal/algal properties. Cinnamon is most effective against powdery molds/fungi.

I've rarely found the slime (usually Nostoc algae) to be a problem other than being yucky looking.

normally i dont care about it either but it was smothering my seedlings... the bad part about it is that normally it starts growing right at the same time the seeds sprout....

Sterilizing the media helps. If you're going to transplant the seedlings ASAP you can sterilize it in a microwave oven. You don't want to do this if you're leaving the plants in the same media long term as the treatment causes peat moss to break down more rapidly. Otherwise rinse with a 10% bleach solution. Either way rinsing the media thoroughly will flush out much of the nutrients that the moss and algae thrive on. The downside is the seedlings may benefit from some of the nutrients. Springtails can make up for this as a food source.

Ir it's the algae that forms green blobs/bubbles (most likely Nostoc) you can usually pop the bubbles with a toothpick or something and then scoop off the slime. This is the stuff that usually over runs my pots.

Back