User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: It's about time bluemax posted some photos!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    Nice to see you around. Those menziesii are looking great. I need to get that species now I think.
    Thanks! It is certainly one of the most reliable performers of the tuberous sundews. It produces a lot of new tubers as well.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new light fixture

I have finally completed the new grow light fixture. This one is based on the 5-socket fixture in the previous photo post but it has 10 sockets for 10 led bulbs. If there is any doubt, I tend to err towards functionality rather than esthetics. Despite the bomb in a licorice factory appearance this thing is both tougher than necessary and will handle at least twice as many watts as I will ever put to it. I was up against replacing the T5 tubes in my 4-foot, 4-tube fixture yet again or coming up with something I like better. This thing is much brighter than the T5s having 10 - 100 watt equivalent led bulbs (13 to 15 watts each) with an integral dimmer. With it dimmed to the desired level I am saving about 20 watts over the florescents and producing much more light, if my eye can be trusted on that. This means the led bulbs are run at lower output and produce less heat than they would at maximum, and should last longer as a result. They produce much less heat than the florescents, which is a big help as I have trouble keeping things from getting too hot in summer. The 100 watt equivalent bulbs have been coming down in price slowly and I expect that to continue. It will, hopefully, be years before I have to think about replacing any of them. So here's the pix -

"Igor! Throw the switch!"
    Last edited by bluemax; 02-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    - Mark

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, I'm excited to follow along and see how it works out for you!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Andrew! Being as this is an upscale version of the 5-socket unit I made awhile back ( see here: It's about time bluemax posted some photos!) I don't expect any problems, though I have tweaked the equation just a bit. Right now I'm just trying to get my plants the highest level of light I can without burning them. I'm expecting numerous plants to finally turn fully red after so long under the weakish T5s.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love homemade rigs and this one is truly crazy looking! Are those LEDs 4000k or did you use a variety? I replaced my exterior floodlights recently with LED versions and have been so happy with them. They light up the yard as if a helicopter is overhead searching for a runaway XD
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthesl0ve View Post
    I love homemade rigs and this one is truly crazy looking! Are those LEDs 4000k or did you use a variety? I replaced my exterior floodlights recently with LED versions and have been so happy with them. They light up the yard as if a helicopter is overhead searching for a runaway XD
    Half are 3000K and the other half 5000K. I like to mix the spectra in the hopes that the plants will respond to a more balanced blend of colors. At least, I think I get better viewing that way. Leds seem to be leading the way in efficiency and I have had good luck with using the screw-in type as grow lights. 'Glad you enjoyed.
    - Mark

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617