What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's about time bluemax posted some photos!

I'm almost 100% certain that nepenthes photo you posted is 'St. Hedwig' - (alata, Large Peristome x (veitchii (maxima x veitchii))) created by Leilani Nepenthes Nursery

I'm almost 100% certain that nepenthes photo you posted is 'St. Hedwig' - (alata, Large Peristome x (veitchii (maxima x veitchii)))

I would agree, it does look a lot like my St. Hedwig as well.

I'm a big fan of your Pinguicula cyclosecta! Love the color:)

i was going to say hedwig too after seeing divaskids plant

Just read the whole thread. PVC pots are genius! I tried a few once but but plugging the bottom is still hard for me to do for some reason. I'll have to try again!

I also have the same barrel outside in my backyard. Thought about doing a small pond but a bog seems better. Did you use all soil or is there a filler at the bottom?

Nice thread!

nice mark,your p cyclosecta's are looking good mine are terrible,great dews too

Thanks, Corky. I really like P. cyclosecta too.

It IS about time.. we don't get taken to school nearly enough. Been wondering what changes I need to make around here.
#1: media

'Happy you enjoyed, Travis. :)

I'm almost 100% certain that nepenthes photo you posted is 'St. Hedwig' - (alata, Large Peristome x (veitchii (maxima x veitchii))) created by Leilani Nepenthes Nursery

Thanks for the info, Ambanja. 'Sounds like a strong possibility. I have been wondering...

I would agree, it does look a lot like my St. Hedwig as well.

I'm a big fan of your Pinguicula cyclosecta! Love the color:)

I appreciate the photo to compare to, divaskid. I will do some searching for more photos of 'St. Hedwig' so I can compare specific parts of the plant.

Thank you. P. cyclosecta is a colorful ping and the flowers are lovely. I'll try to get some decent photos of these when they bloom this year.

i was going to say hedwig too after seeing divaskids plant

I'd say you have a good eye. The coloration is certainly unusual and it matches.

Just read the whole thread. PVC pots are genius! I tried a few once but but plugging the bottom is still hard for me to do for some reason. I'll have to try again!

I also have the same barrel outside in my backyard. Thought about doing a small pond but a bog seems better. Did you use all soil or is there a filler at the bottom?

Nice thread!

Thank you, Jcal. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. I used all peat-based soil but I have wondered about maybe putting a layer of sand or finer gravel at the bottom of the barrel. But so far the soil only seems to work well.

Makes sense. Still playing with the idea. My goal is to find some kind of filler for the bottom half. Use soil for the top. I've seen a few substitutes, but I think it's a project for next year!

Nice update! I also am in love with your P. cyclosecta, nice color.

Thanks, Dj. It has been a good year for the species. This last winter I took pullings and got lots of little plantlets. The summer leaves never seem to strike.

Updated photos of the little Drosera villosa plantlets, now separated and potted together.
P8025611bc-1.jpg

P8055630.jpg

D. filiformis "Florida Red" leaves in the tube.
P8055626.jpg

P8055626-Close.jpg

These have now been potted so we'll see how they handle the transition.

from the Big Terra

It's been awhile since I did an update from my 55 gal. terrarium so here it is:

PB055767.jpg

Drosera tomentosa (D. montana var. tomentosa) with some little D. ascendans seedlings.

PB055767b.jpg

PB055769.jpg

Pinguicula cyclosecta.

PB055773.jpg

D. graomogolensis

PB055776.jpg

D. regia

PB055777.jpg

D. aliciae If you're getting tired of seeing photos of this plant my apologies. It's my oldest 'dew and I'm very fond of it.

PB055781.jpg

Some baby D. ascendans, from root cuttings.

PB055785.jpg

A mystery nep. Likely a hybrid but interesting-looking, at least to me.

PB055792.jpg

My beloved D. slackii, with two offspring.

PB055797.jpg

Venus' flytrap "Colorado Giant".

PB055802.jpg

Cephalotus -typical.

PB055808.jpg

A pot of little graos.

PB055811-1.jpg

P. agnata 'true blue'.

They all look amazing but I am particularly fond of that Pinguicula cyclosecta, and the VFT!

Looking great mark.perfect dews,and your cyclosecta is in flower,nice

Last edited:
Looking good Mark! Glad to see the villosas are doing well..

They all look amazing but I am particularly fond of that Pinguicula cyclosecta, and the VFT!

Thanks, ramdacc. P. cyclosecta always seems to be a favorite. It's an easy grower. Nice that you like the flytrap. I don't get a lot of comments on Dionea that I photograph.

Looking great mark.perfect dews,and your cyclosecta is in flower,nice

Thanks, corky. I confess that the ones that look less than perfect don't make it into the thread. ;)

Looking good Mark! Glad to see the villosas are doing well..

Thanks, mass. It has been the year of the South Americans as far as sundews have been concerned. And of course I've had lots of help in this...

... and a few more.

Because it sucks getting hints of flowers in the edges of photos without any close-ups:

PB065839.jpg

P. moctezumae

PB065841.jpg

P. cyclosecta

PB065845.jpg

A different angle on my biggest grao (D. graomogolensis.)

PB065857.jpg

Some teeny newly-propagated D. binata "Coromandal"

:0o: Very nice! Your dews look amazing. I love the pings and happy to see them with flowers.

Thanks, Dj! 'Glad you enjoyed.

Deep into winter.

This is how it looked in front of my house today:

mini-P2096027.jpg

But it's springtime in my terra. :-D

P2096030.jpg

P2096036-Copy.jpg

I've been calling this one Pinguicula potosiensis but if any of you ping masters out there has a better idea I'd be interested in hearing it. In my conditions it doesn't produce full-on winter rosettes so I haven't been able to look for those.

Attachments

• P2096036-Copy.jpg
    P2096036-Copy.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 47
Did the flower just open?

Very nice! Sadly I struggle at differentiating Pinguicula from one another... Great blossom though, its nice when you can enjoy some floral beauty even when the weather looks like it does outside.

Back