What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's about time bluemax posted some photos!

Drosera cuneifolia

I have struggled with this species for years now and since I moved my only plant out to the garage window sill I think I have finally hit on what it wants. Temps down in the upper 40's many nights throughout the winter haven't bothered it at all save to slow down its growth. Now that it is getting warmer out there I thought I'd better document it before something goes wrong!

P3227251%20-%20Copy.jpg
Drosera cuneifolia

P3227251%20-%20Copy%20-%20Crop.jpg

We need more garage window space!

Excellent d. Cuneifolia , my plants lose all the red colour in winter, you must have more sun , mine do grow pretty large in winter, and shrink but are more colourful in the warmer sunnier months. I wouldn't be surprised if you get flowers soon , only one clone is necessary for viable seeds

Last edited:
Now that is a stately dew.

Thank you!

We need more garage window space!

I agree! I need more lights, too!

Excellent d. Cuneifolia , my plants lose all the red colour in winter, you must have more sun , mine do grow pretty large in winter, and shrink but are more colourful in the warmer sunnier months. I wouldn't be surprised if you get flowers soon , only one clone is necessary for viable seeds

It would be very cool to get seed as I've never had this species bloom for me! Thanks for the thought, corky. I have a florescent fixture and an LED lamp on this one as the window doesn't provide much, if any, direct sunlight.

Now that is a stately dew.

Thank you, Dex!

And thank you guys for the 'likes' as well! I will see about taking some more photos before long. There are some things happening in the terra...

It really is about time...

It's really been almost 2 years since I added to this thread! Whoa! These are a bit 'point and shoot/fast and dirty' but I hope they are worthwhile for you.

Here's the new lighting fixture I made. It uses five 100-watt equivalent led bulbs (about 15 watts each) on a dimmer and is on my 29 gallon Petiolaris terrarium. I am in the process of making one that has 10 sockets for my 55 gallon terra.
P1279123c.jpg

Another view.
P1289136c.jpg

Some tuberous sundews-
P1289125c.jpg

Drosera menziesii-
P1289126c.jpg

D. cuneifolia - I've posted this one before but it is bigger.
P1289129c.jpg

P1289134c.jpg

Pinguicula hirtiflora x megaspilea - cross made by our own Benurmanii.
P1289133c.jpg

Looking out the garage window.
P1289127c.jpg

New hanging mount for Utricularia reniformis.
P1289135c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice to see you around. Those menziesii are looking great. I need to get that species now I think.

Nice to see you around. Those menziesii are looking great. I need to get that species now I think.

Thanks! It is certainly one of the most reliable performers of the tuberous sundews. It produces a lot of new tubers as well.

new light fixture

I have finally completed the new grow light fixture. This one is based on the 5-socket fixture in the previous photo post but it has 10 sockets for 10 led bulbs. If there is any doubt, I tend to err towards functionality rather than esthetics. :-D Despite the bomb in a licorice factory appearance this thing is both tougher than necessary and will handle at least twice as many watts as I will ever put to it. I was up against replacing the T5 tubes in my 4-foot, 4-tube fixture yet again or coming up with something I like better. This thing is much brighter than the T5s having 10 - 100 watt equivalent led bulbs (13 to 15 watts each) with an integral dimmer. With it dimmed to the desired level I am saving about 20 watts over the florescents and producing much more light, if my eye can be trusted on that. This means the led bulbs are run at lower output and produce less heat than they would at maximum, and should last longer as a result. They produce much less heat than the florescents, which is a big help as I have trouble keeping things from getting too hot in summer. The 100 watt equivalent bulbs have been coming down in price slowly and I expect that to continue. It will, hopefully, be years before I have to think about replacing any of them. So here's the pix -

P2149150.jpg

P2149147-copy.jpg

P2149146.jpg

"Igor! Throw the switch!"

Last edited:
That's interesting, I'm excited to follow along and see how it works out for you!

Thanks, Andrew! Being as this is an upscale version of the 5-socket unit I made awhile back ( see here: It's about time bluemax posted some photos!) I don't expect any problems, though I have tweaked the equation just a bit. Right now I'm just trying to get my plants the highest level of light I can without burning them. I'm expecting numerous plants to finally turn fully red after so long under the weakish T5s.

I love homemade rigs and this one is truly crazy looking! Are those LEDs 4000k or did you use a variety? I replaced my exterior floodlights recently with LED versions and have been so happy with them. They light up the yard as if a helicopter is overhead searching for a runaway XD

I love homemade rigs and this one is truly crazy looking! Are those LEDs 4000k or did you use a variety? I replaced my exterior floodlights recently with LED versions and have been so happy with them. They light up the yard as if a helicopter is overhead searching for a runaway XD

Half are 3000K and the other half 5000K. I like to mix the spectra in the hopes that the plants will respond to a more balanced blend of colors. At least, I think I get better viewing that way. Leds seem to be leading the way in efficiency and I have had good luck with using the screw-in type as grow lights. 'Glad you enjoyed.

Just a couple of pics

P4099346-v01.jpg

Drosera cuneifolia - Silvermine form. The last time this bloomed it lost more than half of its size! I am feeding it heavily and looking forward to having seed. The flowers are large and pretty, in my book.

P4099347-v01.jpg

D. esterhuyseniae x spatulata. A very pleasing hybrid that always has lots of dew. I've never seen it bloom.

D. cuneifolia flower

The Drosera cuneifolia is now in bloom and today I captured these photos. I suspect the Silvermine form, this one, is a different species from other forms or maybe even a natural hybrid. It seems to bloom uncommonly in cultivation though mine likes my garage window shelf enough to flower each spring. I wish I could say the same for numerous other species but I'm not complaining. Hope you enjoy.

P5079361.jpg

P5079352.jpg

P5079364.jpg

The flower is about 2 inches (5 cm.) across. If you look carefully you might be able to see that new leaves are shorter than the older ones. This plant pays heavily for the energy needed to produce a flower stalk and it shrinks as it blooms and produces seed.

That's a huge flower ,another stalk on the way I see :D

That's a huge flower ,another stalk on the way I see :D

'Thanks and well-spotted, Corky. I'm not sure if I will let that one bloom or not. I am wanting seed this time and I'm expecting the poor plant will pay heavily for it. Here's a shot with my hand for size comparison.
P5079354.jpg

It seems like by the time the seeds begin to develop, there will be more mass in the flower stalk than the plant!
Great plants!

It seems like by the time the seeds begin to develop, there will be more mass in the flower stalk than the plant!
Great plants!

Thanks, Benny. It almost makes me think that it is trying to commit suicide by flower/seed production. The last time it went from almost 4" across down to about 1.5 inches.

Back