What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need someone in the Bay Area to plant-sit a couple of my babies!

In mid-April I will be moving down to Mississippi for about three and a half months for a new job, and most of my plants are coming with me, but I just know those warm, steamy nights would do my Drosophyllum and Darlingtonia in quickly. So I'm wondering if I might be able to find someone in an appropriate Bay Area microclimate to take them in during the period.

Someone with experience with one or both of these species would be great, but a grower without experience would work too as long as the climate is right (after all, I didn't have any experience with these species when I bought them). Preferably, I'm looking for someone who lives near the coast and gets cold, foggy/dewy nights during the summer, since that's how Drosophyllum gets most of its water (in the wild and on my deck). Cool nights also seem to be highly beneficial (and quite possibly critical) to the health of Darlingtonia too. I live in Novato between the ocean and the bay, and average nightly temps here even in the middle of summer drop to about 55 degrees.

Despite these plants' reputations of being hard to grow, mine have been incredibly easy. For the Drosophyllum, all I do is give it a deep watering with distilled water once a week, maybe slightly more often when we get a heat wave where the fog doesn't come in. The Darlingtonia comes with a solar-powered DIY self-watering rig that continually flushes water over the roots during the day - all you need to do is replace water as it evaporates and preferably keep the reservoir tank out of the sunlight to keep it cool as long as possible (this is another reason why the cold nights are important). Both plants sit in full sun all day, even in the summer.

Anyway, there will be compensation to cover the cost of water + maintenance. I'll post a photo of the plants in a bit... Flickr seems to be down right now. :(

sadly, i've got no outdoor space that would be favorable for their growth.
that being said, if no one offers to take care of your plants, i believe Peter runs a "daycare" center for people in similar situations like yourself--just putting it out there. i hope you do find someone first.

Thanks for the reply. :) Yeah, I was thinking about that as a last resort if I can't find anyone to take them in. Here's a shot of the plants:

I have room. I'm not by the coast, but I am right at the bottom of the South Bay, by Alviso.

Thanks for the reply! I see you're literally right on the bay - do you get lots of fog in the summer? Have you grown either of these species before? :D

I do not get much fog, just low, damp clouds (high fog?), but I am growing both species with success. :awesome: My Drosophyllum should bloom this year.

Ooh nice! Yes, this should work out well then, I'll PM you some details.

Back