What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange plants from china

• Thread starter Sig
  • Start date

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
My sister recently returned from china with a few humorous novelty plant kits.

First ever venus flytrap-drosera hybrid:

"body snatcher" plant:

I thought modern bananas were sterile o_o

Anyone think they can read the instructions?

Those are so cool! It would make sense to me if the drosera and VFT's product name were switched. Maybe misprints?... Or bad translation.

Let us know how it goes! :)

And is there a viability issue with the seeds?

Probably contaminated with lead or chromium...

I've seen these here in English, also mis identified btw. There's also what appears to be Sarracenia leucophylla labeled as "Scary Ghost Plant". A local record chain called Newbury Comics sells them.

"Scary Ghost Plant" <- :-O

Bananas aren't sterile...I grew one from seed and now its about 2 feet tall making 2 foot leaves :D

I'm not well versed enough to translate the instructions, but the title for the VFT (Body Snatcher Plant) says "Eat Bug Plant".

the bananas you buy at the store are sterile. But that is only one variety, the Cavendish. There are hundreds if no thousands of bananas at this point in both the horticultural and food industries. For instance Musa velutina is a great ornamental and it produces inedible fruit that have viable seeds. Also Musa basjoo produces viable seed but if you don't live in tropical climates have fun trying to get it to bloom.

I had a friend translate. Hope it helps.

1. put the poting mix inside the pot and leave a bit for spare, add small amount of water to cover the poting mix

2. the seed is really small, put all the seeds evenly on top of the potting mix and use the spare potting mix to cover it up

3. use a spray bottle to gently water do not wash away seeds.

4. Keep potting mix moist. lots of sun. Should see germination after about 15 days

Back