What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TDS water meter

• Thread starter Tarek
  • Start date
HM Digital is a very popular brand and seem to be of good quality. I have their EZ model. I can't tell you if the price is good or not without a little research. You may want to compare the different models they sell and see how well suited this model is to your needs and budget.

Ditto. I read decent things about HM before I ended up with the EZ model (price was what I was willing to pay). Also got some generic one that came with my RO unit. The two have fairly close results, plus or minus a few PPM so I can't complain.

Another +1 for HM Digital. I have this one, personally, and like it.

Yep. A+ here for the EZ meter. Cheap and works fine.

Another vote from a satisfied TDS-ez user.

I'm also a proud member of the HM Digital TDS-EZ bandwagon.

Been wanting to get one of these for a while now. With these recomendations, maybe it's about time...

I use the Truncheon made by Blue Lab. No worry of drying out the sensor, auto shut off, all 3 reading configurations for those who like EC over PPM.

I already order, what you think, this be alright?

Yes, you are good to go.

I already measured water, from sink 78ppm, from Brita filter 71ppm. Is good, yes? :)

You'll hear differing opinions. Some sources say 50ppm and less is safe. Other say 100ppm or less. There are plenty of CP growers how have been happily growing their plants for many, many years with TDS measuring between 50 and 100 ppm.

A what about Calibrate? I didn`t do it. How to do it? Because i see on back of TDS meter says : Calibrate with NaCl

another reason I like the Truncheon....no calibration needed.

The meter should be calibrated from the factory, but will eventually need to be recalibrated as the electrodes age. You need to buy a standard NaCl solution of a known concentration or mix one if you have reagent grade NaCl, distilled water and accurate enough measuring devices (scale, graduated cylinder etc.)

Then follow the instructions.

For the UK see:
http://www.tdsmeter.co.uk/products/calibrationsolution.html

You'll hear differing opinions. Some sources say 50ppm and less is safe. Other say 100ppm or less. There are plenty of CP growers how have been happily growing their plants for many, many years with TDS measuring between 50 and 100 ppm.

I would personally aim at water well below 50 ppm, particularly if the grower is dealing with live sphagnum composts, which are more easily affected by the accumulation of mineral salts . . .

Back