What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Awesome Article on Saving an Insect on the Brink of Extinction!

YAY Phasmids! :)

Awesome! I'd love to culture those for nep food! :)

Very cool article. Hard to believe that the world's population lived around that one bush on a giant rock sticking out of the ocean ... ???

That is truly amazing. I already knew of that island but I never would have imagined it contained such a great biological feat such as this... Wow!

Wow! I bet this will be the next repti pet within the coming years :lol:

That is soooo cool! :laaa:

Wow, just, wow!!!! Those are huge insects, and that land form is incredible! The hatching video was quite possibly one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

I'd love to have those in my front yard if I lived on Howe Island!

One of the best articles I've read in a while.

Wow! I bet this will be the next repti pet within the coming years
Not legally anyway, ALL Phasmids (stick & leaf insects) and their eggs are banned from any kind of importation to the US unless you have a permit to import invasive insect species and it's not easy to score a permit for that! LOL

There are native Phasmid species in many US states and Canadian provinces, just need to look at bramble bushes, oaks and maples for the most part as these are their kinds of food plants.

that is AWESOME! sad, but AWESOME.. I really hope they're able to successfully rerelease some..

Most phasmids breed prolifically in captivity. These shouldn't be much different than the other more common species as long as the preferred food plants are provided. Most will eat most kinds of bramble, holly and, ivy although there are a few that prefer ferns, lilac, bay or, olive.

'Cool article. 'Gives me a little more hope. Thanks for posting it Vbkid.

Back