What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to CP's

1 - FTS Maroon Monster - youngin
1 - Jaws - adult
1 - Cephalotus - youngin
1 - Typical VFT - youngin
This is my first bare-root potting and boy was I not expecting how difficult it was. Although, very fun!

I soaked them for 40 minutes in distilled water. Then after potting them I gave them a subtle watering to get excess media off them. Also to make sure their in a nice moist media, like advised throughout the forum. Which, I made sure to drain into their saucers. They're currently under a 6500k 9500 lumens CFL bulb setup that's programmed to turn on at Dusk and turn off at Dawn using a digital outlet Timer. And 3 computer fans to make the temp inside at 78*F/16% humidity while the bulb is on.

Here are some photos of my setup...

IMGP2537-21.jpg

IMGP2530-14.jpg

IMGP2522-6.jpg

IMGP2542-3.jpg

IMGP2531-15.jpg

IMGP2543-4.jpg

IMGP2534-18.jpg

IMGP2541-2.jpg

IMGP2532-16.jpg

IMGP2535-19.jpg

^^^ This poor guy lost all his traps because I had infrequent lighting before I setup my terrarium. Had to cut 'em all off and hopefully he'll revive^^^

IMGP2544-5.jpg

^^Crazy Bulb^^

I have a feeling I didn't plant these well. Is the rhizome looks like it's not be properly potted.. Please let me know if I did this properly and if there are any things I can change to my setup.

If anyone can give some pointers for them to transition easier into their new home. I'd appreciate it.

Is that an old computer tower? AWSOME, what a great idea! do you have the fans on as well?

Is that an old computer tower? AWSOME, what a great idea! do you have the fans on as well?

Yes! Well actually I bought an awesome leather faced computer tower to match my gf's living room decor. Only way of having her accept my new hobby.:blush:

2 120mm fans, blowing in and out of the towerarrium. 1 80mm blowing directly onto the bulb to cool it down. All lined with panda poly film to reflect light back onto the plants. Working on using the panda film to cover the side window when I'm just sitting around the living room, loungin around.

Nice choice with Maroon Monster! I love that plant, need to get one soon.

I'm guessing you're a gar fan.

Nice choice with Maroon Monster! I love that plant, need to get one soon.

I'm guessing you're a gar fan.

Gar fan? What is this is? ???

Can anyone show a few prime examples of how deep a cp needs to be potted? I really think I messed my potting up.. It just doesn't feel secure and the rhizome (white part) is a bit exposed.

Gar fish; long snout, lots of teeth, armoured scales, usually big, found in North America and the Caribbean, and have been around for a lot time. The most notorious is the alligator gar, the largest species.
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/alligator-gar/
I know a few people who keep them as pets.

I'd bury the rhizome a bit deeper. You don't want the white part showing on the Dionaea. They look fine otherwise.

Will repotting them again for the second time this week, effect them negatively? I don't want to stress them out more then they should.

Also, what do people use to water these guys, not the water but the device or spout to water them. My media is a mix of coir and silica sand specially produced by Steve from FTS. I hear people saying that alot of times the silica likes to dense towards the bottom if you top water.

That's a great idea for a case lol. Brilliant!

Gar fish; long snout, lots of teeth, armoured scales, usually big, found in North America and the Caribbean, and have been around for a lot time. The most notorious is the alligator gar, the largest species.
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/alligator-gar/
I know a few people who keep them as pets.

And woah, that's a monster and a half. I honestly didn't know that even exists. I use the name garz cause my name is Gary.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

That's a great idea for a case lol. Brilliant!

Thanks, rapidan. Sadly, it's a bit tight on space. With 5" water saucers it's getting crowded. I am going to have to figure out how to conserve some space because my pots are 3.75". I also have 2 more plants coming this week that I am going to try place in here. A B52 and a D. Spatulata.

I am working with a 17"L x 8"W x 17"H. Hopefully, when we move into a bigger place I can expand my collection to a legit terrarium.

Nice setup! Just remember, they will need a winter dormancy ;).

Nice setup! Just remember, they will need a winter dormancy ;).

I got them in dormancy, they should be coming out within a couple of weeks from what Steve at FTS wrote on my packaging.

Updates... HEAVY photos

03-11_34.jpg

03-11_33.jpg

03-11_29.jpg

03-11_26.jpg

03-11_25.jpg

03-11_23.jpg

03-11_22.jpg

03-11_21.jpg

03-11_18.jpg

03-11_17.jpg

03-11_16.jpg