What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP and Mushroom Terrarium?

I was wanting to grow some bioluminescent mushrooms along with some CPs in a terrarium. Is that possible and would I need a sealed lid on top of an aquarium to prevent humidity from escaping?

Also do any of you know how to build metal framed Wardian Cases? I assume it would be the same principle as making stained glass?

Lol i wanted to get some of those too but I just didnt feel like dealing with what are the requirements for the bioluminescent mushrooms?

mushrooms by default breakdown organic material into simpler organics that they can breakdown and use for their own growth. that being said, the fungi will probably spread throughout the tank and start breaking down the peat. you could try isolating the mushrooms in a burl or something, but the spores will make isolation futile...

what kind of CPs as well? north american species do not tend to do well in terrariums, while tropical species require specific temperature perimeters to do well--this might conflict with your mushrooms.

IMHO, i would try and keep them separate.... can anybody else add in?

I was wondering about them breaking down the peat as well. I have a Sarracenia purpea and a flytrap in pots on a south window and the Sarracenia is flowing right now but I wanted to do something with a terrarium and Nepenthes. A greenhouse in my area acquires Nepenthes in April so I was going to try my hand at one of those. I was thinking a Lowland Nepenthes because I can add humidity to them but I can't do the temperature drop at night required of the Highland species.

Right now everything will be growing at room temperature because I am just getting my feet wet. A former coworker of mine that moved to Oregon to work for Cook's Carnivorous plants got me addicted when I saw his grow operation before he moved.

talk to mass he is the mushroom expert

Also do you guys know how I can get a notification when someone replies to this thread instead of me trying to find it again? I am also new to forum posting so I don't yet know the particulars of navigating this type of media.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Mickey,

Who is mass? Do you have any links to his page?

Mushrooms in a terrarium eventually burn themselves out. I have often had them come and go in my vivariums.

The mycellium strands spread in the soil or on wood (like orchid bark) feeding on the nutrients until it reaches mature size and produces the fruiting bodies (the mushrooms). Then when the mushrooms release their spores inside an enclosed space such as a terrarium it tends to kill off the mycelial mass in the soil and within a few fruitings the mushrooms tend to vanish and not return, UNLESS you pluck the mushrooms before they open their gills and release the spores, you can keep the fruiting going this way (by daily picking) until the mycellium exhausts the media on which it grows.

What are your temps year round cuz that will give us an idea on neps you should put. the whole temp drop thing for HL isnt as difficult as you may think. It gets colder at night regardless of where you live and if you have lights on your terrarium turning them off will cause a temp drop most likely as well. So I wouldnt stray away from HL heck I have a lowland and highland nepenthes growing in the same terrarium, but its not optimum growing conditions for the lowland. Nepenthes are very hardy and will adapt, there are just more ideal growing conditions than others that will allow your plant grow faster and pitcher.

mluk27,

Temperature is 68 in the winter 72 in the summer. I was thinking about getting a cool mist humidifier or a fogger and set it on a timer throughout the day. Also would I need a sealed lid to prevent humidity escape?

I know I am asking a ton of questions but I should be getting "The Savage Garden" in the mail today. It is supposed to arrive this afternoon. I am just feeling out my situation before I purchase a nepenthes. I am interested in the N. truncata because of the leaf shape. How do you keep vining under control (I realize the natural tendency for Nepenthes is to vine but that isn't conducive for growing in a limited amt of space)? Do you prune back the Nepenthes?

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Swords,

I was going to grow the bioluminescent mushrooms in a piece of oak because that was the recommendation. Thanks for the help guys.

Back