What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple pictures

Ya gotta come see! We'll give ya the "what's hot and what's not" list.

Yup. Fly into San Jose (it's FAR cheaper than SFO or OAK, then Go up the peninsula past Google, Yahoo, eBay, NASA, Oracle, etc, over the GGB, a slight detour over Mt Tamalpais, and then on into Sebastopol. Another day you can hit the Winchester Mystery House, um, Big Basin, if you're into GIANT redwoods.... ohhh, lots of places. Don't bother with theMystery Spot, unless you're really, really, really bored. Instead, time it right, and go to Natural Arches, with the billions of monarch butterflies. Albion Bog, The Darlingtonia up in far NorCal, or even the Darlingtonia wayside in Oregon. :drool:

don't think I could fit all of that into a week's vacation. I'd probably just end up wanting to stay and forget about going home.

Whaddya mean, "go home"? This is home. :p (my home)

It's video time!

Here is the long-awaited video tour of my back yard and greenhouse. Sorry, no audio, I wasn't feeling very talkative. I will do this again when the Sarrs quit making phyllodia and start making their pretty fall pitchers. By then the Neps that got caught up in the aphid nightmare months ago will have pitchers, I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtwPqyRUQ-Q&feature=youtu.be

Another video. In this one I Velcro'd the little keychain sized video camera to the nose of my silk covered RC glider and took it for a spin. This is also the longest flight I've had with this plane. It's a bit tough for me still, and you can see it in how jerky my flying is. I;ll get better, with practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eLrXwMsXrg&list=UUQ0m7cmqixaBamEMkmEeCKQ&index=1&feature=plcp

OMG, that glider video was just way too cool, although I should have taken a Dramaine first, haha.

As for the tour of your backyard and greenhouse :hail:

Yeah, that's not the best place for flying. It was getting pretty turbulent. Later in the morning it got worse, and I ended up crashing. Nothing damaged that can't be fixed.

Cool video! The image stabilization hurt my eyes a bit, but yer flying seemed fine.

What kind of camera did you use?

He he he! I shouldn't be flying at a near 45 degree angle. It's not very efficient. ;)

I just got the camera. It's a tiny little thing, stuffed into a car alarm clicker case. Here is the dedicated link in RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994 The first post has links to the ONLY two authorized eBay sellers. Don't try to find these off eBay, they're all counterfeit. (I have one seller's e-mail, if you want to purchase one directly.)

Sorry about the image stabilization artifacts. When I edit the video, I'll upload it without the fixits.

Nice vids, I really like your Darlingtonia setup growing off that vertical rock wall thingy, very cool! And that's an awesome plane video too, some really nice views :D Wow, it goes in a lot of circles!

Thanks, Iwest!

Re circling: thermals are like invisible dust devils. To stay in one, you need to do like NASCAR, and go around, and around, and around, and...... The hard part is staying IN the dang thing-- it's invisible. :-D If I get high enough I get sick of going in circles, and start doing figure eights. I did a bunch in the video, just before I lost the thermal and fell out of the sky.

The cobra was another experiment. I know they grow on cliffs in the wild, and I just happened to have a "cliff" handy, made of bamboo slats lashed together. The plant never slowed down, and even turned several pitchers to face the wall. Did you see the clumps of Utricularia graminifolia on the "wall"? It is blooming, and the scapes are longer than I have ever seen a grammi. make. :0o: Woot! If there is a Genlisea out there that likes intermediate/highland conditions, I'll fir sure put some of it on the "wall", too. :mwahaha:

Last edited:
Moooooooore pictures!

Here's an update on my Drosophyllum. Here is what it was like this spring:

110-1.jpg

And today:

098-1.jpg

101-2.jpg

106.jpg

We really need a dew-of-the-month contest:

060-2.jpg

048-4.jpg

The Utricularia gramminifolia on the fountain has opened up a flower. I have never seen a grammi make so many stalks, with so many flowers on each. I must be doing something right.

079-1.jpg

More pictures of my little N. robcantleyii:

090-2.jpg

093-3.jpg

And a couple baubles. I love these, wish I had more.

088-4.jpg

087-3.jpg

I've been missing out with getting behind on this thread. Nice stuff. That's an especially nice Droso (Drosos?) And you're right, Lil, we do need a 'Dew of the Month' thread. All we would need would be someone to host it ...

Last edited:
Hey Lil, wow! One of my faves is drosophyllum, I have a few as well. Yours is one of the finest specimens I've seen. How old is it ?

Thanks, guys!

I wish I could run DotM! I'm not sure I have the time, though. I had an idea that probably won't ever fly: Have a ___otM contest for each category. Each month's winner gets kept, and entered in a ___otY contest. Then, perhaps, the categories compete, and we get a super picture of the year. Just thinking.

Maxima, I have had the Droso. for two years, I think. I got it when it was approximately a year old (I didn't ask). Let's call it three years old. ;)

Awesome, thank you very much.

Here are a couple pictures of my Aldrovanda eating some small snails.

010-4.jpg

014-4.jpg

009-2.jpg

My Nepenthes veitchii x platychila opened a new pitcher, and this one is starting to show its parents' colors and forms. This is going to be one interesting plants when it grows up!

026.jpg

027.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are too big. Photobucket is broken, it seems, and won't let me resize. :scratch: :spidersmile:

Awesome Drosophyllum! not to mention your other plants. Good growing!

Back