What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple pictures

It really is. If I need to unwind, I usually go there.

The bucket waterfalls are so nice! And I love the darlingtonia on the main fall. AWESOME!!!

The cobra is VERY happy. It has doubled in the couple months its been there.

I have more pictures of the N. vetchii x platychila. It has colored up nicely, and has some interesting patterns inside the pitcher.

018-5.jpg

015-1-1.jpg

019-2-1.jpg

021-2-1.jpg

020-2-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

I love this thread! Did you make the waterfall yourself?

Inspiring setup, and lovely plants :)

Time for more pictures!

Here are some dew shots:

061_zps56cf008e.jpg

060-3_zps335301e1.jpg

055_zps8bd4bc87.jpg

060-2_zps1cc8339a.jpg

059-2_zps42e69bad.jpg

048-2_zps66e91e8a.jpg

A fly flirting with disaster:

037_zpsff6170e0.jpg

036_zpsc7f69454.jpg

042_zpsfa6e2357.jpg

043_zps051a4232.jpg

The bog:

031_zps52c64ca9.jpg

027_zpsba594046.jpg

Dentate caught a snail. Even though the snail is too big, the flytrap is still trying to digest it. Good luck!

028_zps611ed526.jpg

029_zps68eca7e9.jpg

S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' Starting to hint at nice stuff to come:

017_zpsd5defc87.jpg

015_zpsef7efb01.jpg

I have HCW paired up with 'Night Sky':

014_zpsa38d0d04.jpg

To those that doubt: Drosera indica, growing outside. :awesome:

009_zps7fe19b80.jpg

011_zpsd048d7b9.jpg

012_zpsf74ff6f2.jpg

A pretty new orchid:

004-2_zps8299d9ef.jpg

The space shuttle came by on an aerial tour of the Bay Area. Here are some hazy, smoggy shots:

011_zps4d289acc.jpg

013_zpsd97f1a36.jpg

014_zps8fe8497b.jpg

015_zps3bdd08fc.jpg

Other interesting things to see up on the landfill we were perched on:

004_zps9f15a524.jpg

005_zps002de8c9.jpg

006_zps65460f6c.jpg

:hail: Paradise in your own backyard! I just love your pics of the water drops on the dews. Great pics of the space shuttle.

I have D. indica coming up all over the bog outside and flowering...was told they need to be kept drier than other dews, but that does not seem to be the case as I see no difference between the ones I have in pots kept drier and the ones in the damp bog.

daaaaang.. someone went all out with the pics. Looks like heaven. :hail:

Awesome pics, thanks! Do you own a S. Minor "Okee Giant"?

I have a "regular" okie and one from selfed seeds with location data. That one is SUPER colorful, really coppery. It's just starting to come out of its funk it had all year.

Some very nice photos! I especially love the sundew close-ups. Were those D. binata?

And now for something a little different!

I spent the weekend in San Francisco with hubby at thee California Grand Lodge Communication and Installation. Basically, it's the governing body of the California Free and Accepted Masons getting together to vote on things, and install the 2013 officers. It's interesting. I spent a LOT of time sketching and exploring yesterday, and the ladies all got together and saw "Beach Blanket Babylon". It's hilarious! I also managed to do a smidgen of shopping Saturday, and since the event was over after noon, Dory and I did more shopping today. I had just a little too much fun. I got a bunch of designer yarn, a knit/crochet/whatever tote, a nice, comfy crocheted afghan, a couple knitting patterns, and a pinwheel as tall as I am. I'm a sucker for these pinwheels. :blush:

After the yarn shop visit, Dory and I were near Chinatown, where a festival was going on, full swing. We explored and shopped, and had lunch. Roast duck, yummy! Since the garage was at the top of Nob Hill, and we were near the bottom, we forked out the $6 each (yuck!) and took a cable car to the top. Those little rail cars are such a hoot to ride. I will be honest, the money goes into upkeep of the little cars, and is really, really worth it. We ought to go back and visit the museum and turnaround.

The next time we go, we're leaving the car at home, and will just take the train. About an hour and a half, two hours will get us to the City, and then the yarn shop is not far from there. We can also go and play along the Embarcadero, which is impossible when saddled with a vehicle. Parking is miserable!

Have a mess of random pictures:

088_zps8e6cc309.jpg

087_zps2685d22c.jpg

086_zpsd89e546c.jpg

The yarn shop:

005_zpscccff2e1.jpg

Ever patient Dory, basking and dozing in the sun:

006_zpscc2c9592.jpg

More randomness. City Hall, a couple cable cars, a Chinese dragon and a couple lion heads, the festival, a raven saying "Hi!", a giant vertical mosaic inside the Masonic hall, plus more.

084_zpse0d67735.jpg

083_zps06e20936.jpg

073_zpsc953b52c.jpg

068_zpsb846b752.jpg

067_zpsbe5be5da.jpg

069_zps04560a3b.jpg

065_zpsd08e3d85.jpg

061_zps98f25611.jpg

059_zps49b2b313.jpg

017_zps0a7caaff.jpg

058_zps3a685874.jpg

057_zps5a7b5db1.jpg

031_zps74204969.jpg

080_zps68a75b22.jpg

011_zpse21014f5.jpg

012_zps7f5aa9a8.jpg

Whew!

The new kitten is getting bigger, and more active. Here she is "checking" the servo wires to one of my RC gliders.

028-2.jpg

Chow time for the Ts. One came out and hung around a while, parading her catch.

010.jpg

008-1.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Update pictures on some TLC lowlanders sent to me a while ago. Everyone is doing great. Top to bottom: N. albomarginata purple (black?), N. viking and N. sp. trang, N. bicalcarata.

080.jpg

084-3.jpg

073-2.jpg

N. viking x truncata. This thing is going to be a monster.

083.jpg

Finally a Sarracenia clump that I can be super proud of.

063.jpg

Hurricane Creek white looking good:

010-6.jpg

011-2.jpg

071-2.jpg

N. miranda showing off.

021-3.jpg

020-4.jpg

Psychopsis mendenhall with two open flowers on one stalk. Uncommon.

028-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

Orchids!

031-2.jpg

034-4.jpg

A big S. psittacina giant:

054-4.jpg

053-5.jpg

Last but not least, S. leucophylla x minor. It will color up really dark in a few weeks. I'm thinking of naming this one "Birthday Surprise", because it sure was one!

058-5.jpg

061-3.jpg

062-5.jpg

That doesn't look like Hurricane Creek White, just anthocyanin free. HCW is a var. alba.

I didn't know you had Ts!!! What kind is that?

Looks just like my HCW, gets more white as the pitcher matures.

That kitten is sure growing, sooo cute. Your orchids are gorgeous!

well, we'll know when the flowers pop out: red = HWC, yellow/white = antho free. great looking plants Katie! nice to see everything doing well for ya!

Beautiful pics, as usual... Love the Birthday Surprise, it's got such nice veining on the top of the lid.

That doesn't look like Hurricane Creek White, just anthocyanin free. HCW is a var. alba.

Looks like a HCW to me.. Just doesn't have it's fall pitchers out yet. My HCW, and many other clones in different collections, look just like that most of the season and are accurately labelled as one clone or another of HCW. I've seen pictures of certified HCW plants with much deeper green venation than this specimen.. There are also many factors that play a role in the white-ness, or amount of anthocyanin produced in HCWs. They can have been recently divided, or from different environments. Divisions of many pure-white plants can appear very green, due to stress and other influences. Granted, the definition states that a HCW has to show a pure white pigmentation, but it's hard to define that when two divisions of identical genetics can exhibit significantly different pigmentation, with one qualifying as a "true" HCW and one not. I'd bet pretty good money that this specimen is an HCW.

Beautiful pics, as usual... Love the Birthday Surprise, it's got such nice veining on the top of the lid.

Looks like a HCW to me.. Just doesn't have it's fall pitchers out yet. My HCW, and many other clones in different collections, look just like that most of the season and are accurately labelled as one clone or another of HCW. I've seen pictures of certified HCW plants with much deeper green venation than this specimen.. There are also many factors that play a role in the white-ness, or amount of anthocyanin produced in HCWs. They can have been recently divided, or from different environments. Divisions of many pure-white plants can appear very green, due to stress and other influences. Granted, the definition states that a HCW has to show a pure white pigmentation, but it's hard to define that when two divisions of identical genetics can exhibit significantly different pigmentation, with one qualifying as a "true" HCW and one not. I'd bet pretty good money that this specimen is an HCW.

+1

I got this guy from a reputable source. The plant is young, and is just starting to make it's pretty spectacular pitchers. I'll wait a few more weeks, and then take more pictures. For now, look closely at the last HCW picture, it is a different pitcher, and it's starting to show the "vanishing veins" and all white lip I've seen on other HCWs. ;)

Wireman, that's a... it's a.... I forget. Oh. C. fimbriatus. This is the female.

Back