What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple pictures

nice collection you have...like em all

Chilobrachy fimbriatus (Indian Violet)
And a happy looking one at that.

Love the miranda. So underrated.. I miss mine.

Of the nice plants in that last set of photos I've gotta go with the N. miranda, too. 'Pretty darn spectacular.

I like N. miranda, too. It's big, it's showy, and it's pretty easy.

If you haven't seen it, look for a somewhat old thread from this spring (ish) titled "Miranda going risqué". It's a fun oops pitcher.

Oh, my gosh! I'm getting some wild Sarracenia seeds! :laaa: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23065499&postcount=11256

Anyways, I have a couple more pictures from a spur-of-the-moment visit to the local grocery store, with a rare surprise:

256.jpg

260.jpg

268.jpg

266.jpg

265.jpg

264.jpg

274.jpg

263.jpg

I just realized that that was a pretty good walk-around. Heh.

Here's a little a musical keychain I got.

275.jpg

Those are really big stitches, about 6 stpi, for those wondering about scale. I'd say the key chain is a couple inches long.

And the lucky-dog journalist FIAT club member that tipped us in on the upcoming hot dog visit: (well, OK, his car, anyways)

269.jpg

Lucky guy got to RIDE in it, because he's press.

Pics for That one Guy of my greenhouse.

139-2.jpg

140-1.jpg

138.jpg

141-1.jpg

137-2.jpg

136-2.jpg

135.jpg

134-1.jpg

133.jpg

166.jpg

165-2.jpg

167.jpg

That big orange flower in the back? Some nameless cattleya. Smells so nice!

128-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!! Your greenhouse is awesome... That orchid is gorgeous, and I love that brom...

A couple shots around the outside:

194.jpg

192-1.jpg

193.jpg

Some random stuff:

N. x miranda

202.jpg

171-1.jpg

169.jpg

173-2.jpg

P. 'Weser"

174.jpg

175.jpg

N. thorelii x (x wittei)

154.jpg

Sleeping filiform dews

181.jpg

184-1.jpg

N. spectabilis giant x aristolochioides

144-1.jpg

My patchouli is getting ready to bloom

185.jpg

a tropical paradise..

Brie, thanks! I wish I kept the name of the Cattleya (or hybrid).

I added a couple fountain pictures to that one post.

Great greenhouse, beautiful plants. Kudos on the Patchouli, mine always alternated between luscious good health and near-death, so I let it go :-(

I spy Robcantleyi! :p Amazing Greenhouse. Good to see your filformis are sleeping... it always scares me when mine goes to sleep before the sarrs do.

All looking so fine. The waterfall fountain is so awesome and the utric and cobra look like they are loving it.

Thanks guys!

Whim, don't scare me about the patchouli. It's my first season with one. I like it a lot, and can't wait to see what the flowers look like.

Lance, where do you spy a robcanyleyii? ;) LOL! Yes, you are correct. It isn't happy with me at the moment, but I know the why, and it's being fixed. The other trunc. is a Paisan highland. Dory offered to buy me "one plant" at a potluck in a place north of me. He told me he deliberately didn't specify a price. At first I was going to take him up on the offer with a SG hamata going for $200, but put it back when he turned green. I settled for the $75 (marked TC but really SG) rob.

DJ, they were asking me if I could bring in the wall-o-Utrics at the BACPS meeting Saturday, until I showed them just how BIG the whole set-up is. It is only a little more mobile than the bog is. It would be a real pain to move.

Want to know more about the utric wall... it looks great BTW. So it's that bamboo garden edging with a pump at the top and basin at the bottom? Do you use RO water for the utrics? Are they planted in anything? Kinda want to replicate it with several different pockets for growing different species... :D

It's just regular tap water. Our water reads around 50 ppm, so I can get away with using it for most everything.

When you set yours up, leave it empty and cycle it for a few months. Algae WILL grow on it, wait for it to bloom really bad, then change the water, and then, hopefully, string alge should set itself up on all surfaces in place of the blob algae. Then you are ready. I used long fiber sphag, which will rot away really fast, to start the Utrics and Darlingtonia. I might have used cut-up coconut fiber pots in some spots, too. I tied them on with pieces of braided nylon kite string, looped around back and forth between the slats.

I hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info! Your feature is really amazing. Especially liked the pics of the utrics blooming. Do they grow faster like that? I was thinking of doing something with hypertufa. Or maybe a large rock with rough crevices chiseled out. Probably will never happen though...

Utricularia graminifolia, at least, does seem to grow faster on the "wall" than its potted siblings. U. livida is also doing well there, seen as clusters on the left side.

I'm a fan of that Greenhouse!

Back