What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do Tulip leaves look so much like heliamphora leaves?

Just wondering this today as the tulips started coming up.

Anyone ever noticed?

Interesting, right?

Will

i can see where you go that idea from. as much as they do---it's only at a superficial level...no nectar spoon, no fused leaf that collects water, no downward pointing hairs... and tulip leaves dont snap and break apart like eggshells if looked wrong :lol:

if you're looking for a more scientific explanation, i dont think there is one--at least not yet. many plants adapt such life strategies to maximize sunlight, or collect water... yeah....

Here's something to think about: Plants are in a constant battle to get moisture. If you ever water a tulip, you'll notice that the water is directed down the leaf towards the stem of the plant, and from there, straight to the ground where it can quickly be absorbed by the roots. In this way, the tulip helps secure that much more of this precious resource before it's lost to the soil.. or worst... taken up by neighboring plants it competes with.

So the leaf morphology of the tulip and the heliamphora aren't the same based on any phylogenic relationship, but in a way, they're a case of convergent evolution.

I just thought it was interesting, but that scientific part of it makes sense! Never thought of it that way.

Even cooler now :)

Will

Back