What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some pics from the Philly zoo

Took a trip down to the Philly zoo, totally hallowed grounds as per herpetology. Had some other cool stuff too. Couldn't resist the urge to snap some pics.

As per usual, Nikon d5100 with an 18-105mm lens.

Water moccasin:

DSC_0090.jpg

Timber rattlesnake:

DSC_0092.jpg

Forest cobra:

DSC_0095.jpg

Panamanian golden frog:

DSC_0098.jpg

Emerald tree boa:

DSC_0099.jpg

Golden eyelash viper:

DSC_0100.jpg

King cobra:

DSC_0103.jpg

Rattlesnake:

DSC_0105.jpg

Blacktail rattlesnakes:

DSC_0106.jpg

Bigger king cobra:

DSC_0107.jpg

Chinese crocodile lizard:

DSC_0108.jpg

Giant river otter (only good photo):

DSC_0143.jpg

Some kind of african kingfisher taking a bath:

DSC_0201.jpg

Gorilla:

DSC_0229.jpg

Madagascan tree boa:

DSC_0263.jpg

A lurker in the corner of the dart frog tank:

DSC_0274.jpg

Golden eyelash viper plus two:

DSC_0276.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
haha.. I thought that said "ghetto river otter" at first. I was like.. ,"we have some pretty ghetto rivers here too."

As you can see in the pic, the poor ghetto otters can only afford old car tires as toys... :-))

Nice pics! I love the one of the eyelash viper!

Nice pics Peatmoss!

the eyelash viper looks pretty friendly, lol

Very nice! How do you get rid of the reflections on the glass? Polarizing lens, or just the angles with the flash?

Cool pics!

D'aw eyelash viper making friends with his dartfrog buddies. Why must my fiance insist on not having "dangerous" animals in the house... mind you the vicious killer cat gets a pass.

Thanks all! I really liked that pic of the eyelash viper with the froggies, pretty cool. I think these are my best herp photos yet!

Devon, I was pretty careful with the angles I chose, some animals were too hard to take photos of just because I could not get a good angle. I also had some where you could see reflections in the corner but I cropped those out.

I have to post some pics from the philly flower show so I might put up some more pics in this thread.

Awesome pics! Not sure what the first un-ID'd rattlesnake is, but the second pic(with two in it) are crotalus molossus, Blacktail Rattlesnake.. Then Chinese Crocodile Lizard, and Madagascar Tree Boa.. I LOVE the pic of the eyelash with two dart frogs.. lol. dont think i've ever seen a display with both things cohabitating before..

Edited! Thanks!

I was really happy with the eyelash vipers, whenever I am at a zoo they tend to be facing away from me. Loved getting head shots of them for once.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

I just edited the last few, this is it.

Eyelash viper again, worse photo:

DSC_0265.jpg

King cobra:

DSC_0267.jpg

Hosmer's skink. Apparently these are the only ones on display in North America:

DSC_0269.jpg

Blacktail again:

DSC_0270.jpg

Alligator snapping turtle:

DSC_0272.jpg

Some kind of caiman, I do believe that it is a dwarf species:

DSC_0273.jpg

Pigmy marmoset:

DSC_0283.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That's a cuvier's dwarf caiman, tiny little guys at 5 feet long. Excellent photos of some very interesting animals. I don't think I've ever seen eyelash vipers and dart frogs displayed in the same enclosure before. Both are gorgeous, though.

Back