User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the location of newly discovered species remain hidden?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been an employee of the US govt. I have often been the keeper of location secrets for plant populations. This information is routinely withheld and given out on a need to know only basis and I support this. Why make it easy for people to do damage and break the law? Having said that I also understand the need for location data in describing new species and varieties and here things get tricky.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the specific location data should not be given and that a broad location data would be alittle better for public view. say a new cp species was discovered in australia... southeastern part. That's all that should be said... it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack.... if for preservation reasons then it should be given but that section of forest or swap or whatever should be protected in its entirety and not just key pin point locations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no.

As soon as you even tell the continent, that species is doomed.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In every museum I've worked in, publicly-available locality data was kept to the county-level for this very reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it should.. I mean if you've been months years or even decades trying to locate something then y would you want to disclose the information of its were abouts are... you wouldn't want to cause someone else may not have the same compassion toward that species as you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If you build it, they will come"

In the modern days of google maps ect. Even county level info may be too much. It can't be that hard to find suitable habitat for a plant with satellite images. Alas, perhaps the only way to prevent poaching may be to make the buyers care enough to not to buy poached animals.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    County level distribution should be the most specific the released data gets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm completely for withholding the data. Generally those who have any interest in where a species is from will respect that the species should be protected, your average person won't gain anything from knowing that their species of X comes from Y location.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast