What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My mail order chickens

Guinea are better at tick controll, will even kill and eat snakes. But they are harder to keep than chickens and lay smaller (but better tasting) eggs.

Name one Cocky Doodle. :)

Or name one the name of another animal, like Antelope or Porcupine.

That's too bad about the frogs and toads being eradicated from the pond. :(

Guinea are better at tick controll, will even kill and eat snakes. But they are harder to keep than chickens and lay smaller (but better tasting) eggs.
That's part of my concerns w/ chickens, guinea fowl, etc - they don't discriminate between pest & non-pest (how could they?). They eat what moves so small frogs, caterpillars, snakes are all targets - all things I'd like to have around.....

On a different note, many people keep guinea fowl as watch dogs - the sounds that come out of a group are incredible (here's a clip - but it really does not do justice to the volume or variety of a group sounding an alarm).

That's part of my concerns w/ chickens, guinea fowl, etc - they don't discriminate between pest & non-pest (how could they?). They eat what moves so small frogs, caterpillars, snakes are all targets - all things I'd like to have around.....

On a different note, many people keep guinea fowl as watch dogs - the sounds that come out of a group are incredible (here's a clip - but it really does not do justice to the volume or variety of a group sounding an alarm).

Geese are incredibly loud watch dogs as well. My gosh the sound of their squawking is so unbearable...

Guinea do make a lot of racket, not only when you want them to but when you really don't want them to as well. Yes, they will eat and just about anything that moves. And other stuff too.
Ours just loved to roost in the trees, then when someone walked under the tree... well, sometimes they would get a surprise.
Peacocks are a lot of fun (somebody mentioned them earlier) but they too make a lot of racket. Peacock eggs are pretty good too.

I don't remember exactly when this started but Henrietta my flock leader (a Rhode Island Red) became really noisey and would scream a lot. So I let her in the house one day because giving her food wasn't working. She's not like the other hens so it's not surprise she's the top bird. Turns out she wanted to lay her eggs inside not outside with the other girls. She started to use the couch but I didn't want that because she was scratching it up. I had a storage bin on the ground so I put some towels in it and made her a nest. She loved it and now for months she's been demanding to be let in to make her egg and then leave. If I'm not home she'll even hold her egg and not lay it til the next day. I have no idea what she did when we went on vacation because our bird and plant sitter wasn't going to wait to let her in and out. Here's the rutine.

Bad Chicken on the fence by Thagirion3, on Flickr

She's not supposed to jump the fence. This is the front yard and she's not supposed to go there.

Chicken yelling to be let in by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Fence is jumped.

Chicken in the window by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I happened to be in the computer room and she came looking for me in the window. It's actually very bright in my room, but looks dark because of back lighting. She knocks on the glass with her beak and will scream.

Henrietta waiting to be let in by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I go out he front door and call her. She comes around the bushes up the drive way.

Miss priss butt walks to the front door by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I open the screen door to the front patio for "Her majesty". She walks slowly like she owns the place.

Prissy hen walks inside by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Keeps walking into the house.

Checking out the nest by Thagirion3, on Flickr

She checks out her nest to make sure its in order. She likes the towels a certain way. Some days I don't put up with her and grab her and put her in the nest and tell her to sit down.

Flying into the nest by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Managed to snap her flying in.

Cozy nest by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Happy Chicken. She'll sit for an hour before making an egg. Sometimes she'll get out to inspect the living room and kitchen then go back in for good. If I don't hear her feet hit the ground when she's done she'll scream and stand next to the sliding glass door until I let her out. She's like a cat and needs to be let in and out.

Henrietta Christmas Nest by Thagirion3, on Flickr

This was taken last Christmas eve.

Happy Easter everyone. I will be doing something I love tomorrow and that's coloring eggs. This is the only time of year I buy eggs because I don't have any white egg layers. That's by design. White egg layers aren't pet material. The closest thing I have to white are the light pink eggs that raptor makes. Here's my egg spectrum of naturally colored eggs.

IMG_0158s.jpg

The one on the left is a real white egg I bought at the store so you can compare them. Then there's pink and the one on the right is blue.

Last year I got an egg coloring kit that came with a white crayon for drawing on the eggs. Well you guys know I'm a good artists. Just look at my avatar. BUT it's very hard to draw with a white crayon on white eggs when you can't see what you're doing. Some of my eggs came out nice while others look terrible like some child drew them. It was so funny how bad some were and how others turned out nice.

IMG_0161s.jpg

N. ventrata egg

IMG_0163s.jpg

T-rex. I used to draw so many dinos in the 90's that I can draw some of them in the dark. This one is a very good one.

IMG_0164s.jpg

Hehe, Dr. Grant is my favorite Jurassic Park character. It's one of my favorite movies.

IMG_0165s.jpg

A ufo

IMG_0166s.jpg

Saturn

IMG_0167s.jpg

A guitar. Had to make one for my husband.

IMG_0168s.jpg

My character Cope. Gosh he turned out so bad when he's one of my easiest to draw.

IMG_0169s.jpg

A budgie flying.

IMG_0171s.jpg

A gourd. This one turned out nice.

IMG_0173s.jpg

A whale.

IMG_0174s.jpg

An Architeuthis for my whale to fight with.

IMG_0162s.jpg

N. lowii

IMG_0176s.jpg

A budgie head

IMG_0177s.jpg

Another budgie

IMG_0178s.jpg

My cockatiel Randy

IMG_0179s.jpg

And I signed one.

If I can find my white crayon (I know I put it somewhere), I'll take SOME requests for what to draw this year. Perhaps six things and the other six of our own choice.

Wow NICE nep eggs and dinosaur eggs and everything! :grin: It's been too long since I've painted eggs... maybe next year when I get it together more.

nice egg drawings! Though I bet I could draw a better spot then you :-))

Last edited:
Thanks Thez yo. Painting eggs is always fun.

Thanks potted plants. Yeah if you have a fresh crayon with a round tip probably.

Thanks Thez yo. Painting eggs is always fun.

Thanks potted plants. Yeah if you have a fresh crayon with a round tip probably.

A firefighting squad could help too when I manage to blow up the house :jester:

I always try to encourage people to keep chickens, so here comes my rant. XD Even with a small yard, you can usually keep at least a few of them. My wife and I keep a small flock in our relatively large back yard, and I couldn't be happier with them. Depending on the methods you use, they are next to no maintenance and they cost practically nothing to feed, given the amount of absolutely delicious, truly free-range eggs you get. We get wayyyy more eggs than we can eat, so we give them away to our neighbors. Better neighbor relations is always a good thing, haha. But really, they are incredibly easy to care for, they're durable (mostly), and they pay for their own upkeep. That's not even to mention that they're quite the entertaining characters to watch.

Having your own flock of chickens is very eco-friendly and far more animal-friendly, but it's more than that; I see those as bonuses. In the society that we live in these days, the majority of us could use a lesson or two in how to care for ourselves and not rely on everyone around us to do the work for us and deliver our goods to the nearest grocery store. Keeping chickens is a very easy, very cheap way to learn some of those skills. And to take it a step further, chicken poo makes some of the best fertilizer on the planet - compost it and use it to fertilize your own vegetable garden. Can you imagine a vegetable omelet in the morning using only ingredients right out of your own back yard, laid and picked that morning? Most of us can't imagine it, but I bet most of us wish we could. Heck, you can even build your own coop and learn some basic carpentry skills, though I'd suggest having some of those skills before tackling a big build, lol. Here is the coop I built for our flock, before some recent modifications. Totally redid the nesting area so they can't roost on the boxes and poo into the nests.

But anyway, both my wife and I are firm believers that no back yard should be without chickens. I know people even keep chickens in Alaska down to -30°, probably others do so in even colder climates. Like I said, they're durable birds. We adore our flock and look out for their health and well-being as best we can because, the way I see it, they're looking out for ours too. Eggs are quite the superfood after all!

Chickens are illegal in our city. Stupid bylaws, you can own them but not eat the products. I don't think they have a way of complaining, but I am sure our neighbours would put up a fuss.

Cute birds anyways.

I agree on all points, Kyle, but some people do have strange laws and/or PITA neighbors. We got our first chickens when a regular client of mine who knew I loved all animals asked if I could take his dozen chickens from him because his neighbors were having a complete hissy fit. I kept food out for them but honestly they didn't really eat much of it because they found plenty to eat on our property. And yes, they can be quite hilarious at times with their antics!! Sadly, something killed all ours but one of the things on my wishlist is to build a good, secure coop so I can get more and keep them safe at night.

Had to resurrect this old thtead since i've added a few chickens to my back yard.

I have 4 red sex links and 3 buff orpingtons.

5 silkies

Built an incubator

I have Easter Eggers, game fowl, polish and showgirls incubating

How are your chickens Thagirion?

Back