What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My mail order chickens

I'm glad this thread was brought back up! Such beautiful birds!
I hope to keep chickens of my own some day and guinea fowl! Guinea fowl remind me of dinosaurs with that horn on their head.

Chickens get a really bad rap! My first job was on a farm, and shortly after I started the head rooster met an untimely end at the teeth of a predator. His replacement absolutely adored me, followed me incessantly, and would have killed or died for me. Which he unfortunately did when he sliced open the farmer who was coming towards me to give me my next assignment. Anyone who considers being called "chicken" to be an insult has never been around them!

The family of a friend of mine kept chickens when he was a kid. He told me he hated going out the coop to get eggs or feed the birds ... the rooster would always try to attack him.

He also mentioned flushing out a mouse while cleaning the coop one day. As the mouse ran across the chicken yard the chickens mobbed it, tore it to shreds and ate it.

My chickens act like lil puppies. Theysee me coming they all run up to the fence. Theyre afraid of everyone else. Guess they know I'm the dude with the food.

Couple of chicks I hatched:).

I have some golden laced polish, buff polish, cochin, showgirl and silkie eggs incubating atm. The chicks above are golden laced polish x Easter Egger.

What are the chickens for? Eggs?

Pets and eggs:).

They're so cute! Chickens are such interesting and (mostly) friendly little birds. They can even form "attachments" to individual family members and try to protect them.

Couple of eggs candled tonight at day 7.

Reminds me of an eye. I will try this with some eggs too!

Chicks are hatching like crazy this time! Post pics a lil later.

I love this thread, and I love chickens! Yours look great, dionae. :) I would love to own a few but I am worried about the local feral cats... they used to bother my finches all the time.

Thanks lime! When the chickens get big I wouldnt worry about cats. Could be a problem while theyre young though. Have 6 hatched today so far. Have 5 more just breaking through the shells.

The final count is 13 out of 15. I'm really happy with this hatch!

Too cute. No problem picking out the Showgirls, but what else did you hatch?

13 out of 15 is a great hatch rate. About 85%.

Bio-buff polish, golden laced polish, SGs, silkies and I think I had an Easter Egger hatch. Probably only keep silkies and polish chicks.

PS-I know! Awesome!

Do you have the birds imprint on you?

They're so adorable what the heck. . .. they look healthy! Are you keeping the chicks outdoors or do you have a light set up inside?

Back