What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thag's CP videos

Thagirion

Budgies are best
My first carnivorous plant video update of the year. I've been making plant updates for a few years now on my youtube. If you watch all 18 minutes of this thank you.

<object width= "560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YVW7s6wm8zs&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&rel=0&color1=0x09E74A&color2=0xDE1BD7&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YVW7s6wm8zs&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&rel=0&color1=0x09E74A&color2=0xDE1BD7&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>

Nice. I like all the bird sounds in the background. I've got a very similar 55 gal. that I just set up for sundews. I'll be posting pics soon.

Thanks bluemax. I have lots of birds. Mostly budgies and cockatiels, but also white homing pigeons. I love my birds. They were my passion since I was 2. Thanks for watching. I look forward to seeing your tank.

For the blue pots you can just drill some holes in the bottom.

I finally stuck a screw driver into them and the bottoms popped off. I leave them on loose now. So I'm gladI can still use them. For my humidifer hose, do you put yours in from the top like that or do you dangle it closer to the ground? For me it's worked better at the top because the mist goes everywhere. At the bottom it kind of just stays there and doesn't rise to the higher plants.

Nice konjac! :)

This has inspired me to make an update with my collection! :D

Yea it would be best to keep it on the top where it is, the mist will drop to the bottom of the tank. Also, dont forget a fan for cooling.

Pineapple, you have a youtube? What's your account? Thanks. Glad you liked them.

I have two fans I bought. I need to update and show those. Probably easiest to take a pic and put it on my flickr.

Forgot to say, thanks for watching guys.

too bad I can't watch videos on the crappy computer.

heh, I also have a youtube channel. I dont have any cp videos but mostly gaming vids.

Haha Thag, my mental image of you was you were a guy lol.

Very nice though, so many truncatas. Your titan is certainly growing faster than mine.

Hehehe, yeah I'm used to that, sss. And I don't mind. People assume that about me and I usually don't bother telling unless I'm asked. When I listen to my videos I think that sometimes my voice can sound like a young boy's. Also, I just have never liked or done girl stuff. Most of my friends are guys because of my interestes.

Yeah, I've gone truncata crazy. That pitcher of the titan opened kind of deformed but it's got a new one coming in that should be normal. I was suprised it's bigger than my flava. Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Mass, yeah, that sucks. There are lots of fun videos out there to watch.

Heli, stop by my channel anyway. You should make some CP videos. I play games too. I have a few videos up of Saints Row 2 and Fallout 3 for Xbox. I have footage recored for Skyrim but haven't put it up. I've been lazy. Right now I'm playing Mass Effect 3. I love games I can create my own characters and I usually play as Owen, Cope or Thagirion. Hey if you're interested I'll post some of my character screen caps to my art thread.

Hehe, there I go again, see what I mean, sss?

Thanks. I checked yours out too.
Ok so here's my update for this month. I think it will be easier for me to make updates at the start of the month and easier to remember. Not too many new things because it's so recent with the other one. Main things are I show my new T5 light on my window and the fans set up in my little tank. I'd love advice on the fans and the mist problem I'm having. And stay tuned for the hidden ending.

<object width= "560" height="316"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdAmz46q4tA&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&rel=0&color1=0x000000&color2=0x0AE1F2&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bdAmz46q4tA&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&rel=0&color1=0x000000&color2=0x0AE1F2&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="316"></embed></object>

May 2012 update.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ewVsl1lJQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the videos! Everything looks like it's doing well. I'm interested to see how your HL's work out. I'm moving to Florida sometime 2013, and going to have to re-learn how to grow everything I've got. I'm a little nervous about my HL species. I've only got a few, but I have no clue what I'm going to do with them. I've got a system set up here, that's going to totally have to change. I have mostly LL species though, can you grow them outside most of the year under the shade cloth?

Thagirion,

Have you tried putting your humidifier line right in-front of the fan? This will propel the mist evenly across the terrarium and help evaporate some of the droplets lowering the temperature.
I wonder...you could also use that mini fridge to pump cold air from it into the aquariums at night instead of transferring the plants in and out all the time? There was a discussion and someone described a similar setup.

Taargus,
Thanks. I'm glad to share. Well I'm still learning and trying to figure out the best way to do highlands. It is difficult if you don't have a way to drop the temps at night and that's the challenge here in Florida for most of the year. If you mostly have LL's you should do fine under shade cloth or under a tree with dappled light. Yes they can be out doors 9 months out of the year which is great. The last three months you can bring them in and put the HL outside provided it doesn't drop into the 30's. We do have about 3-4 days a year of frost where the nights get into the 20's, but thank goodness it's not often. I always fill the birdbath the day before because I enjoy finding ice donuts the following morning and then everything's pretty much melted by 11am.
That's great you're moving down here. Finally I won't be the only Floridian on the board.

gill za,
I have been wondering if I can buy another fridge and use the components in one of my tanks somehow. I just don't have that kind of mechanial savee. I've been asking around locally but no one's been able to help me out. It is a pain moving the plants every morning and night and now I have more highlanders I really would like to have a way to cool the tank instead of all this extra work I'm doing.

You know it's funny you mentioned that because I just discovered that by accident. But that means I have to constantly run the humidifer. Still the temps have been better in the mid to upper 70's than being in the 80's during the day. I'm amazed how the lights heat things up even though the house has AC.

Taargus,
Thanks. I'm glad to share. Well I'm still learning and trying to figure out the best way to do highlands. It is difficult if you don't have a way to drop the temps at night and that's the challenge here in Florida for most of the year. If you mostly have LL's you should do fine under shade cloth or under a tree with dappled light. Yes they can be out doors 9 months out of the year which is great. The last three months you can bring them in and put the HL outside provided it doesn't drop into the 30's. We do have about 3-4 days a year of frost where the nights get into the 20's, but thank goodness it's not often. I always fill the birdbath the day before because I enjoy finding ice donuts the following morning and then everything's pretty much melted by 11am.
That's great you're moving down here. Finally I won't be the only Floridian on the board.

Good to know, I'll probably just be able to make my LL terrarium into a HL terrarium then and swap everyone around. I was considering just ducting AC straight into the tank when the time comes. It's an 150 gallon tall, so I'll have some issues to work out myself when redoing it. My humidity is at least 70% at all times just leaving an inch of water in the bottom of the tank and having all the pots elevated sitting on eggcrate. I know cool air will drop the humidity, but I'm not sure by how much. When the lights are off at night the humidity goes to 100% as is so we'll see.

I can't believe you're the only one in Florida on here! I'm not 100% where we're moving yet depends on jobs, but most likely a city in north of mid FL, not sure what coast yet. I'm super excited, looks like you have it easier growing these things down here. Are you able to provide a decent dormancy for your Sarrs and VFTs outside or do you have to use a fridge? That part's easy to do up here, not sure about what I'll do about that either!

I've been thinking about trying a duct from the AC too even though it will look terrible hehe. I guess you'd have to run the humidifer all the time while the AC is on. I'll have to experiment with that too, and not sure how I'd get it into the tank yet. There are a few things I want to try. I have egg carton too and after a week I have to get all the water off the bottom because it almost comes over the egg cartons. Fridays are my big plant chore day for tank cleaning, watering and orchid fertilizing.

Yeah, I noticed right away there are no other Floridians. CP's seem to be a west coast thing mostly. The place is drowning in Californians and Oregons it seems. And even down here in the Tampa Bay area there aren't any shops or clubs.

Since it does get cold into the 40's and 30s during winter I guess everything got some dormancy. My flytraps didn't die back but just formed smaller rosette traps. I don't know if that's good or bad but a video I watched said that was normal. My Sarracenias died back and turned brown so I think they got their dormancy and they have come back beautifully. The flytraps could have done better so I may have to put them in the fridge this next winter.

Back