What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
3/22

I set up 2 containers for the ping collection and put them on the grow rack outside, underneath a container of Sarracenias. I also set up 1 ½ containers for the pygmy sundews. Then I set up the 10 gallon tank for the U. gibba / Aldrovanda. It doesn’t look like the U. gibba did too well with the dormancy. However, that happened last year and then the growth exploded. I expect the same this growing season. Then I moved the struggling D. binata ‘Marston Dragons and D. capensis to the bedroom window. And for the umpteenth time in as many days I moved the Byblis plant with the flower scape to a middle tier, consolidating the remaining plants into 3 of the tiers. I still need a bunch more of the 32 oz drinking cups to get the remainder of the VFT’s & Sarracenia seedlings repotted and outside.

3/23

I repotted the U. longifolia and U. nelumbifolia. Hopefully, that will revive them. Putting the butterworts and pygmy sundews outside didn’t put them in shock. Colder weather is coming next week and our overnight low is going to be in the lower 20’s. So I’ll have to deal with that. I counted 11 flower scapes on the Sarracenias this morning. just received a packet of B. liniflora seeds. The B. guehoi plant that is growing sideways continues to develop the flower bud and is probably a day or two from opening.

3/26

We are having a cold snap and I had to rescue the pygmy sundews and butterworts. I put the butterworts in the garage and when It warms up again I'm going to bring that back inside. The temps are going to go down for awhile after the brief warmup. The sundews I put into a cooler and left them on the porch. I think they can handle the outside better than the butterworts. I am also going to repot my bladderworts into the LFS I bought. I think their soil is stifling them. I just hope there hasn't already been damage done.

3/28

I was checking my Sarracenias this morning and discovered that the cold snap either killed a few plants or put a lot of them into shock. Most of the flower scapes that were coming up died. I was so concerned about the pygmy sundews and butterworts but didn't think the Sarracenias / VFT's would be in danger. I was wrong.

I hope it didnt kill any of your plants. I've had to move things from outside to inside the greenhouse a couple of times already. I'll be glad when the warm weather is here to stay.

That's normal for sarrs to lose there flower stalks in freezes. Had it happen a few years ago.
I covered mine with old sheets to protect the flower stalks if I do not bring in the plants when it dips below freezing.

Sorry to hear about your plants.

In 2010 we got an unexpected cold snap early in the season (one night, temps dropped to 27 I believe) where my flytrap and Sarr water trays were solid ice the next morning, and many of the leaves/traps died. I also lost several Sarr flower scapes.

The plants recovered within a few weeks and new growth began; they seemed no worse for the wear the rest of the season.

Hope this is your experience as well. Good luck man!

Aw that's awful, I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully yours will bounce back like the others here have said!
JennB

Going through this same thing.
Is it spring, is it winter.. wish mother nature would make up her mind. :lac:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your plants.

In 2010 we got an unexpected cold snap early in the season (one night, temps dropped to 27 I believe) where my flytrap and Sarr water trays were solid ice the next morning, and many of the leaves/traps died. I also lost several Sarr flower scapes.

The plants recovered within a few weeks and new growth began; they seemed no worse for the wear the rest of the season.

Hope this is your experience as well. Good luck man!

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Aw that's awful, I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully yours will bounce back like the others here have said!
JennB

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Going through this same thing.
Is it spring, is it winter.. wish mother nature would make up her mind. :lac:

Thanks!

Ouch! Thats awful, sorry man, hope your plants recover.

This weather has been crazy, we keep wrapping and unwrapping our fruit trees to protect the blossoms, but orchards in the area are already reporting losses.

Its been an interesting spring here in Buffalo to say the least.

--Paul

Sorry to hear about that :(.

How cold did it get? My sarrs do fine when the temps drop into the teens even with spring very close.

It was only into the 20's. I can understand flowers and leaves reacting. I wasn't expecting plants to die. Maybe they haven't died. Time will tell.

Back