What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I start a few dew species and a dionea dente from seed in january. They are
PHP:
all doing great until a couple days ago when they all started to die. This happened this winter with some liniflora seeds they grow well for 3 or 4 months then just die... I don't understand it. From what I've been reading, my soil mixes, light temp everything seems correct but they just die for no reason.... does anyone have any information or tips or something? P.s my flowering red dragons looking rough. I really want seeds but I don't want to lose the plant and I think that what might happen.. on a lighter note my d. Spatulata is sprouting yet anoth flower stalk hopefully this time I can pollinate some of them and get some seeds

Are you growing the Red Dragon inside? If so, perhaps weak from not being able to experience a winter dormancy and flowering too much for it. I don't know what to say about the Dente seedling as I have grown them from seed inside in a garden window without supplimental lighting and kept them inside for their first winter before putting outside permanently. You say your conditions are correct, so dunno. ???

Im assuming these are indoors? are you using artificial light?
if not, they probably died off from lack of light..
lack of light also leads to fungus, even if you cant see it.."damping off" disease hits seedlings often, its a fungus..

your biggest problem is probably just the fact that these plants are being grown indoors..
that can be a killer..

Scot

I do agree scotty that growing indoors can lead to a lot of mold/fungus, I remember the second year I brought my tropicals in they kept getting a crapload of mold on them. However seedlings do perform better under artificial light then in the outdoors from what I have read. Perhaps try spraying them with a funguscide every week or so. Not sure where you are growing them but if that is what is killing them it should help out.

Some photos would help out, a lot of times just looking at a plant can give you an idea of what is wrong with it (for example wilting leaves has to do with water/humidity, burned edges is sunlight, etc).

Yes they are all grown indoors. The red dragon was taken out for winter dormancy a month ago. It was in dormancy for 4 months. Its was growing fine until it started to flower. Is there a way to kill this fungus? I've taken. Some soil samples and put them under a microscope I can see some sort of foreign object which might be the fungus you talking about. I don't want to plant anymore seedlings of any sort until I can figure out this problem. I have all the plant under a 4ft t5 ho. I assumed that was sufficent light but I may be wrong I also have 2 computer fans curculating air constantly

Ahh well then I am going to have to agree with scotty, bring them outside, unless the weather is too cold (below freezing) because you don't want them going dormant again. Flowering can put a lot of stress on flytraps, if it isn't looking good I would suggest you cut it off.. Seedlings can stay indoors.

For fungus I use safer brand fungicide. I know there has to be something special about the fungicide but I forgot so perhaps somebody else more knowledgeable can help you with that.

Safer Garden Fungicide, sulfur based, is what I use sparingly as recent studies have shown fungus can build up a resistance to it.

I have found flytrap seedlings to be touchy if I try to simulate their natural conditions inside and have much better luck letting them germinate and grow outside on their own, but I live in zone 8 so that may make a difference. If seeds germinate naturally late in the season, which I get all the time in the bog, they do not survive the winter and so I bring them in for winter in my south-facing garden window with natural light for them to experience changes in season, soil moist but on the dry side, and then put them out the following spring after frost danger has passed and leave them outside from then on.

Its was good temps for a week or so but some nights it still get below freezing so its kinda risky to put them outside or all my sarrs and flys would be outside.

Dionaea + indoor growing conditions = high rate of failure/problems.

I bought some pro mix with a fungicide in it today for my veggie plants but I was wondering if that would work for cps? I hated to do it but I cut the flower stalk 2day. I noticed a new trap was strating to turn so I was forced over the edge to snip the buds..... it would have been nice to get seedling but there's always next year

Back