What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adventures in Lens Stacking

To read more about eyepiece projection for macro look at this page.

You can use this calculator to find out the magnification and focus distance given the specifications of your lens and the length of extension.

The drawbacks with using coupled reversed lenses is that you are adding more optics so any flaws in the lens get added. The drawbacks with using extension tubes or bellows is you lose automation, some speed of the lens. They are clumsy and bellows are fragile. You also need to focus, meter and set the aperture manually unless you pay a lot more for electronics/automation. There is a gizmo you can buy that allows you to adjust the aperture on Canon lenses be they reversed or mounted on "dumb" tubes/bellows for ~$200 though. There are ways to set the aperture on some cameras like Canon but it involves mount and dismounting the lens. And your viewfinder will go dim making it difficult to focus.

Here is a good overview of macro techniques, while geared for the Pentax user it is still applicable to all.

Holy cow, the example of the fake violet shot at ~2.25x is impressive, and the lens was like 6" back from the subject... that sounds awful nice. Much better than the ~6mm I was having to work with. XD

Bookmarked.

Love the pics!! :hail:
Holy cow, the example of the fake violet shot at ~2.25x is impressive, and the lens was like 6" back from the subject... that sounds awful nice. Much better than the ~6mm I was having to work with. XD
When I was heavily into macro (back w/ film), I quickly learned the benefits of a working distance when using lots of tubes. As kyle pictured above, the distance gets so close to the lens that even getting light to the front of a subject can be rough. I even played around w/ multiple extension tubes on my 400mm telephoto. Getting adequate light to focus & compose (especially if lens is stopped down) as well as accurately meter can be a challenge. It quickly pushes one to investigate shooting w/ flash - especially if subjects are moving about....

i used to use a 5oo mm mirror lens to do macro from 3' away outside but there could be no wind and had to use high shutter speed

Back