What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hydrofarm 125 or 200 watt light?

Going to use a 12"x26" shelf for vft and sundews. Have been considering hydrofarm 125w or 200w cfl fixture. Is 200 watts for a shelf this size overkill or will I be sorry if I go with the smaller wattage????

I honestly don't think they need that much light. I grow my highland nepenthes under two light fixtures, one a 20w T5, the other a 20w T12. The T5 is 18" over the small ones or 6" over the tops of the big ones, and the T12 is 3" from some and 12" from others, depending on location. They grow like weeds and are doing super well. I would go with whatever is cheaper (unless there's not much of a difference, then go with higher wattage) as long as you make sure they are getting the correct spectrum they need. My T5 and T12 are aquarium lights and look pretty blue, so they may not even be in the correct spectrum for plants, but they still work. JME.

should work beautifully..you should buy the fixture with the reflector mounted as well. Or if you are handy..go get a metal kitchen "back splash" in white from Lowes for 10 bucks and make your own. :)

I'm tending towards the 200watt since I don't think I can give the plants too much light? Am I correct? it comes with a full reflector.

sweet. Go with the 200 watt. You can always raise the light if need be. 200 watt cfl won't cook a dew...Except D. schizandra maybe :lol:

Back