What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these bugs?

Heli

villosaholic
I was looking at my plants 5 minutes ago and noticed these small bugs that kind of remind of scale on my heliamphora.. they are much smaller than scale. After looking through all my plant since seeing them, all I found were four small ones.. all on the same heliamphora leaf... maybe I caught it early ??? The pics arent that good but they are on the red streak down coming from the nectar spoon.
IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

On another note.. I just noticed this odd pattern on one of the leaves...
IMG_0071.jpg

I don't see what you're referring to. Where in the picture are they located?

your right, it is pretty hard.. this might help
kIo6a.jpg

Heli, do they scurry off when you put something near them?

nope.. they dont move at all... I stuck one on my finger to look at it with my magnifying glass and it didnt move at all.

Are you positive they're bugs and not dried up flakes of sphagnum? I've seen things I thought were bugs but when I pulled one off with some fine pointed tweezers and studied it with my 30x eyepiece I saw that they weren't even insects, just sphagnum flakes.

Yup, I'm certain.. Now that I look more closely I can see them move.

scale maybe? really hard to tell from the pictures but they look like scale

the way you were describing them then sound like scale and even though the size isnt completly accurate to the everyday scale there are around 8000 species of scale pests and one may possibly residing on your heli.......

I have been talking to Mach about it and he says they are young thrips. After looking at images of baby thrips, I would have to say they look exactly the same. I will be buying some pesticides for it today. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Back