What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True? False? Opinion?

So my teacher mentioned in biology today that if carnivorous plants like the Venus fly trap, were to grow in nutrient/nitrogen rich soil. It would still grow and live, but it wouldn't produce any traps. Because it would be getting the nutrients/nitrogen it needs in the nutrient and nitrogen rich soil. Therefore no need to produce traps and get nitrogen or nutrients from the insects that it would catch. So, is this true, false, or just don't know? Opinions please? Also it was funny cause right when i saw we were going to study carnivorous plants i knew that she would say some rumor or something false. She said "Now would we find any of these plants around here in this region? No they grow in tropical places like in Africa" (I live in Georgia) I was laughing on the inside and said "Actually the Venus Fly Trap only lives and is native to North Carolina" and she said "Oh really? Then it must be some other type of it" But haha i didn't say anything else. Knowing that there are only one type growing in the wild that aren't hybrids.

false, the roots are sensitive and the rich nutrients would burn and kill the plant.

It frustrates me your teacher is saying stuff like that to people. :p Giving false information...

I think I agree with Heli, but you can never be too sure. I've seen flytraps growing in nutrient soil with large leaves and small traps, but never without any at all.

I think she was stating opinion and was a little misinformed. Rich, humusy loam will cause a number of CPs to grow deformed leaves. In severe cases, the roots from these plants will wither and die from fertilizer burn and they'll simply dehydrate and die. I've read that some drosera species cannot uptake nitrogen from the roots and must obtain it via its leaves. I think that your teacher tried to rationalize an answer on her own but missed the mark.

While it is obvious that your teacher is severely misinformed, let's just be thankful that, in this instance, it isn't about anything TOO important, or something that can readily negatively impact someones life.
I'm sure everyone has heard plenty of much more dangerous misinformation in the past.

Maybe she means in evolutionary terms.... in which case she is probably right.
(but doesn't sound that way)

me dunno

Maybe she means in evolutionary terms.... in which case she is probably right.
(but doesn't sound that way)

me dunno

Haha i don't think so, she doesnt believe in evolution. She was just reading from the textbook, which of course now i know is wrong haha.

Haha i don't think so, she doesnt believe in evolution. She was just reading from the textbook, which of course now i know is wrong haha.

Does she teach you evolution?

I would ace that test!

If you root fertilize Nepenthes enough they will stop growing traps and continue to live. Trapless Nepenthes can sometimes be found in nurseries where they've treated them like any other plant.

@Heli, I believe that the laws in Amerkia are formatted in a way to allow for teachers not to teach evolution but be required to teach creationism... Or at least to allow the teacher to make a passing mention of evolution and call that teaching.

Read 40 days and 40 nights about the evolution creation debate.

How can she teach about carnivorous plants and not believe in evolution?! They're literally the perfect example.

Corpse flowers are, god would never create something that smells so nasty!

@Heli, I believe that the laws in Amerkia are formatted in a way to allow for teachers not to teach evolution but be required to teach creationism... Or at least to allow the teacher to make a passing mention of evolution and call that teaching.

Are you sure? Here in NYC no one has taught creationism to me in Highschool, Middle school, or Elementary school but I have been taught about evolution (even though I already taught myself about it :lol:).

It is a complex issue here. The Supreme Court has ruled twice on the matter, first striking down bans on teaching evolution in Epperson vs. Arkansas, and also ruled against a law in the state of Louisiana that required biology teachers who cover evolution to also cover "intelligent design", in both cases the laws were ruled to violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. Despite these ruling religious groups continue to push their anti-science agenda, leading to repeated legal battles that they nearly always lose.

In public schools at least, evolution is whats is taught. In private schools, of which I am a product, the individual schools can make up their minds, I was lucky enough to be taught about evolution (although I don't think my parents would have sent me to one that teaches creationism).

Sorry bout that, not American so I was just stating what I knew. Here my bio teach didn't even mention creationism.

@Heli, I believe that the laws in Amerkia are formatted in a way to allow for teachers not to teach evolution but be required to teach creationism...

Actually, the opposite is almost always true..
Creationism is almost never taught, but evolution almost always is..
North of the Mason-Dixon line anyway! I hear things can be a bit backwards in the deep south..

(and, speaking as a Christian, im amazed creationism would be taught in a public school in America..that is SO wrong..)

If creationism is taught in public schools, its a HUGE minority of schools in sure..
probably like 1% of schools..its very uncommon..

Scot

Back