What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated forum

Cool! Glad it's back up online. Thanks for the hard work Andy.

To be honest though I preferred the old layout (purely aesthetics), and this forum is taking significantly longer to load then the old one did.

I'm not having any load time issues, but I also liked the older layout better. Then again, Andy said he'd work on that. What I DO like about this theme is how much more of the page it uses. Smaller left and right margins. MOAR EFFICIENCY.

Nice work Andrew!

I may be imagining things, but it would seem we can only private when the other member is logged on. Regardless of the chat still showing their name.

Looks good, though I also miss the old color scheme.

I have a bug report. In the chat box, the little box you click to pop in someone's name, it works the first time, then the next time you try to use it, all it does is jump the page up to the top. I'm using IE (bleargh!) 'cause FF won't work on this old laptop.

ETA:
Hey! Can we use animated avatars now? Please please please! I got a good CP one!

I'm loving the mobile version. I'm using a BlackBerry Curve.

Thanks for all the hard work, Andrew! :)

I'm loving the mobile version. I'm using a BlackBerry Curve.
Yes, it's much better on HTC Wildfire too. The old forum was pretty much unreadable without significant zooming, but the mobile style in this version is readable without any.

Two small, low-priority requests:

- the default for embedded links used to be underlined - would be nice to keep this to make links obvious
- the text bubbles (is that what you call them?) to the left of each section change color to indicate a section with unread posts. Is it possible to make the difference between colors more blatant?

Is there any word on the Trojan issue? For whatever reason the other thread seems to have been deleted. Would just like to know that the site is secure.

Edit: Note issue no longer seems to be happening (as did with old site), still would just like to have confirmation...

Last edited:
WHAT happened, anyways? I never noticed anything.

WHAT happened, anyways? I never noticed anything.

We talked about it on another CP forum... When the site was initially down, a few members from here were getting anti virus alerts saying something about a blackhole exploit. Somebody did research on the error and figured out it was an error given when hackers use a certain Russian hacking program that redirects you to another site that will like steal your banking information and stuff. Dunno... I never got anti virus alerts, nor do I do banking on this computer. Have put in credit cards on this one though. And it was mentioned that the virus or whatever can only attack PCs, so if you have a mac, nothing would have happened...

Andrew said in the chatbox on like Thursday or Friday when he rebooted the site that the protection he purchased for it or something had like expired two days earlier and he thought nothing would happen. So he has gotten it replaced now. And I think after he got the site rebooted, he just decided to do a major update, changing it over to vbulletin, changing site skins, ect...

Having problems with private chats not posting.
interesting.. can't private in the public chat, but it works on it's own private tab

The server was comprimized by I believe a poorly written hack... I uninstalled all mods, rebuilt the forum, and while I was at it upgraded to the 4. version of vbulletin, i was already on vbulletin but the 3.8 version... I didn't let security lapse, but a update had released prior, but there was no mention of a security issue so I didn't hop right on it. As of now, everything is secure and the only hack/mod I have installed is the chatbox since this version has a lot of the things I had hacked in to make it do for you guys... If you want verification of it's security, you can go to this URL http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/terraforums.com it's ran by McAfee.... As best I can tell, it was not the black hold thing, but rather just attempting to redirect to other sites to make them money through google ads. I don't think it was successful though, it seemed to throw more errors than anything. So anyway, as the forum gets bigger and more popular I guess it draws more attention, there really isn't a whole lot more I can do. I already run a dedicated server so I don't need to worry about what others have on the server, and it is on Linux platform. I will monitor the url above carefully and run some other tools I have acquired frequently to make sure we stay clean, that's about the best we can do.
Andrew

mass, i think in the new version it is one or the other... I will check tomorrow though and verify.
Andrew

well right now I have to have two TF tabs up. One to see the private tab convo.. and another to see the public chat. Because it won't let me do both.. Basically can't send private chats while in the public room.

Did you hold ctrl and shift and press r?

Really petty complaint, but is there any chance of getting the forum back to the pretty green motif?

Nvm, I found a way. It's not the same, but it'll do just fine.

I didn't care much for the default color scheme, but the "dark green" I really like!

Not sure if this has been pointed out already, but I love that this new version of the forum supports mobile browsers. TF doesn't hang up on my iPhone / iPad anymore! It doesn't seem to have chat or live forum updates, but when I'm on my phone I'm not really using those features anyways. Nice job!

Going through my logs it appears the website was infected (Thursday pm 5-10-12) with the JS-Redirector-UL script which redirects your browser to a website that will attempt to download various malware like trojan horse or backdoor virus programs. Avast blocked access to these sites. Users who did not get a warning from their anti-virus/firewall programs or browser should probably update their virus definitions and scan their systems.

I noticed the VFT favorite.ico for terraforums has been replaced with the standard VBulletin favorite icon.

Back