What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went on a short hike...

joossa

Aklys
Hey guys! I went on a short hike yesterday and want to share some photos. It was a small flood plain of a local creek. Since the local mountains didn't get much snow this winter/early spring, the creek was dry. This is the western Mojave, BTW.

You can see the greener vegetation in the lower parts of the bed:
P5120026.jpg

Cuscuta after doing what it does best??
P5120021-1.jpg

In lowest part of the actual bed looking south-southwest:
P5120036.jpg

Cute little guy:
P5120031.jpg

P5120033.jpg

P5120037.jpg

This would have been underwater if there was any to begin with:
P5120051.jpg

P5120060.jpg

A Joshua Tree out of the bed, up on the desert plane:
P5120073.jpg

P5120074.jpg

Critter tracks:
P5120078.jpg

P5120079.jpg

P5120085.jpg

P5120088.jpg

This mating pair made the trip totally worth it. They flew right in front of me and landed on some vegetation begging to be photographed! The ID is pending, but it seems they may be moths and not bees/hornets/wasps!

P5120068.jpg

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing. It reminds me so much of my old home...

Looks great! I also went for a hike today :).

Wonderful pics thanks for sharing!! Its not that common to see those cacti flower in action... the flowers can't stay open for long or they'll burn up!

Thank you for posting these pics! I spent my childhood wandering around that desert with my father and older brothers, a lot around the Littlerock Dam area when it was truly miles from nowwhere, long before it was built up with housing tracts around there (showing my age, haha). Your pics take me way back to a time I had nearly forgotten. Thank you

Thanks for your comments, guys! It seems that the mating pair are actually moths. Possibly Sesia apiformis. I'm so happy I found them!
Sesia apiformis

Thank you for posting these pics! I spent my childhood wandering around that desert with my father and older brothers, a lot around the Littlerock Dam area when it was truly miles from nowwhere, long before it was built up with housing tracts around there (showing my age, haha). Your pics take me way back to a time I had nearly forgotten. Thank you

Funny, this is Littlerock Creek right off Highway 138 a couple miles from the dam. The area has some very nice natural beauty to it.

I hate the desert, the forest, meadows, ect... Basically anything in nature other than the tropics lol. For some reason, I really like the desert area in your pics! Maybe your photography skills are just that good to make me like things I hate. :lol:

Just looked at your location... I guess thats socal for you. I really like the red hills covered in green desert shrubs all around the CSUCI campus. If you watch The Biggest Loser, they always hike in those kinds of hills. Very beautiful area, thinking about possibly going to college down there to test it out as a living area. I think San Diego has like the perfect climate for everything lol... :)

Sigh, I missed my opportunity to make it out to the Mojave this year. Still really disappointed. Thanks for sharing the pictures (even if it does hurt me. ;) )

To Joossa: Should have seen it 40+ years ago, totally unspoiled wilderness then.

To Joossa: Should have seen it 40+ years ago, totally unspoiled wilderness then.

I have family friends that have lived out in the hills for a long time. They say the exact same thing!

Back