What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle's attempts at arthropod photography

'kay, so be warned: I'm absolutely horrible with arthropod photography, so I'm starting to try and work on that. I think I really need an external flash, but the onboard one with a DIY diffuser seems to work decently. Also experimenting with lens stacking, but that's difficult given most critters won't let me get the lens within an inch of them to focus. I am hoping that having this thread will encourage me to get out more and play with it some, learn maybe a smidgen of what the heck I'm doing out there. If anyone has tips for this stuff, please do share. Anyway, on with today's subjects.

1%20(1).png

1%20(2).png

1%20(3).png

1%20(4).png

1%20(5).png

If you're horrible, then I am the scum of the earth! These are great!

Well heck, go ahead and one up my thread! Geeze!

What is your lens stack consisting of? Extension tubes? I am thinking of getting one to make my macros a bit closer...

Very nice pics!

OH MY! Look at those eyes! And those pictures are obscene! :-O

I think I fed one of those to my new aristo earlier. :-D

Yeah, you're horrible... I don't even think my eyes see that clear. :-O

They look like something our of a Dr Seuss book. Great job, and please post more! :D

The flies sure look like they're having fun... ;)

@Everyone: Thank you very much. Note I only post pictures I'm happy with... all the other 98% of them, you never see. ^.~

Well heck, go ahead and one up my thread! Geeze!
Do you have a similar thread? I hadn't even noticed, where's it at? I'd love to see it.

What is your lens stack consisting of? Extension tubes? I am thinking of getting one to make my macros a bit closer...
These are the ones I use, except with a Nikon mount (for you) instead of Canon. The Nikon ones seem to have lower reviews, dunno why. They're very well-built for what they are and for the price. Solid aluminum, no plastic. And well-machined.

For these pictures, I used a combination of my 100mm macro and the same lens stacked with a 50mm. To accomplish that, I use a reversing ring by the same company as the tubes, Fotodiox. Another well-machined, all-aluminum piece, good bang for the buck IMO.

I think they're definitely worth the money, just remember none of those shots were using the tubes. I stacked the 100mm with the 50mm, so I was getting 2x magnification. The tubes only add .4x to the macro's 1x. .4x doesn't seem like a lot, but given their price, totally worth it.

And thanks again. :blush:

Wow Kyle, that's beautiful. :)

Thank ya, limeslizzle.

To keep up the theme going on here... (I guess it IS that time of year...)

1.png

2.png

3.png

These were a bit tricky since it was pitch dark outside. And here I come, barging in with a flash. XD

haha awesome.. worms doin' it..

Eww, that is just gross...

So I recently discovered the existence of hawk moths or hummingbird moths because I happened to notice a couple in the flower garden a couple weeks ago. Since, I've been trying to get pictures of them, but they're incredibly... flighty. XD But really, they're tough little buggers to shoot and I've been trying for a couple weeks and finally got two shots that I'm not completely embarrassed with, lol.

1.png

2.png

I'll keep trying for sure, they're great practice... shooting in the dark and rapid-moving and all. LOL.

Thank ya, limeslizzle.

To keep up the theme going on here... (I guess it IS that time of year...)

1.png

2.png

3.png

These were a bit tricky since it was pitch dark outside. And here I come, barging in with a flash. XD

So what you are saying, is that you go out in the darkness of night, to peep on insects fornicating? And for this you need a great camera, to share with us poor saps the carnal pics!?

Well thanks for that, my stash was getting a little boring.

Seriously great pics, I look forward to more. I especially like the moths. Too bad you couldn't get them doin' it.

:banana2:

Those moth shots are great Kyle, good work!

Beautiful shots - especially the moth. :0o:

Awesome moth photos! I can never get close enough to them.

Thanks, y'all. And big LOLs @ SgtSarracenia. XD

Decided to spend some time out in the vegetable and flower gardens today to see what I could get.

Not the best picture in the world, but I thought it was funny because he was getting pissed at the flash on the camera. XD
ant.png

This guy was so awesome I had to make sure I got some shots. Never seen such a red aphid (okay, it's not an aphid, thanks Mach and Ron!).
aphid1.png

aphid2.png

And here's the little dude on a US dime for scale.
aphid3.png

bee1.png

bee2.png

bee3.png

bumble1.png

bumble2.png

lady.png

pill.png

Last edited:
Back