Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Kind of you to say.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breathtaking scenery! I love the fall colors. Thanks for posting these beautiful photos. I've got to get up there sometime.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonias in N. California and S. Oregon

On my way back from the 2018 ICPS Convention I decided to see what I could find in the Darlingtonia country of the northern Siskiyou Mountains. There were fires burning nearby and to the south of my route which certainly lent a feeling of tension to the trip. There are many other sites in these areas, as those who went on the ICPS Convention field trip know, but these are those you can find simply by reading the road signs. Not a bad payoff for very little research. The first site I visited was in the area of the town of Gasquet in northern California.

Heading further north on highway 199 in southern Oregon near the town of Cave Junction you will begin to see signs for "Eight Dollar Mountain Botanical Area". You can follow the signs to the small parking area and on foot from there follow the short trail to the boardwalk that takes you out to the open meadow and the views of the Darlingtonias.

A rich payoff for a detour along a fun to drive mountain road. I intend to return and do some actual searching for those sites that I know must be there a bit further along the beaten path. 7350
    - Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics Mark! An excellent way to wrap up a wonderful conference trip, eh?

Did you make it up to Days Gulch at Eight Dollar Mountain? I hear that area got burned over a week after the conference but that the Days Gulch Darlingtonia area was spared. The fire was pretty close when I was there with the conference field trip party and they closed the road later that day.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Did you make it up to Days Gulch at Eight Dollar Mountain? I hear that area got burned over a week after the conference but that the Days Gulch Darlingtonia area was spared. The fire was pretty close when I was there with the conference field trip party and they closed the road later that day.
    Thanks, Dj! I didn't make it to Days Gulch but hearing about that now increases my desire to go back. I would love to make an actual dedicated trip just to see cobras while camping in the area. 'Sounds like there is a lot more to see around Gasquet as well. That will have to happen another season, but it does need to happen!
    - Mark

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a great thread, the photos are absolutely beautiful!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Andrew!
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

The images are so so beautiful. I've never seen such wild patches! This is definitely on my list for 2019. Many thanks!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast