What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max's Travels

looks cold. And FULL of bears.. I'm tellin' ya, they're out there.

It's nice to see such pristine open landscape. Beautiful glaciers as well

'Glad you enjoyed it, Iwest. Something reassuring just knowing it's out there, isn't it?

Sweet pics, thanx for sharing. Looks like you hit it at the right time for excellent weather up there.

Thanks, DJ. The weather was cold at night but comfy during the day. That's what sleeping bags are for.

looks cold. And FULL of bears.. I'm tellin' ya, they're out there.

It was cold on the top of Hannegan Peak. An airy place, that. And while I didn't see any, I did see scat, this is black bear and grizzly country. 'Wolf country, too.

Rodney Falls in Winter

On the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge stands Beacon Rock, a landmark to all who travel along this section of the river. Behind, to the north of Beacon Rock stands Hamilton Mountain. Alongside the trail that climbs to the top of Hamilton Mountain are several waterfalls. One of these is Rodney Falls.

The hike to the falls is only about 2 miles from the lower parking area and climbs through forests of large, mature Douglas fir trees. There is a gap halfway up that allows views down to Bonneville Dam and across the river to the Oregon side.

1_zps18d48630.jpg

P1224734_zpsa1448d66.jpg

The frozen tranquility of the falls belies the approx. 70 mph winds that roar over the treetops. The Gorge is often an intensely windy place.

P1224743_zps7e53f903.jpg

P1224749_zps599c34c3.jpg

P1224737_zpsa14256e2.jpg

P1224755_zpsea4a26d0.jpg

P1224740_zps42ba9a16.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Beautiful spot, Mark! Nice pics :)

Thanks, Paul! On a Tuesday in mid-winter it is possible to have it all to yourself, ha!

Great picutres!! That place looks rather magical.

beautiful spot Max! i suppose you will need to return when the skies are clear and the sun is about to set, im sure the area gets magical.... western exposure i hope?

great pictures! i was at rodney falls last saturday. wasn't quite as icy as it looks like it was during your visit. twas my first time there

great pics Mark!

Great picutres!! That place looks rather magical.

Thanks, Heather. Magical says it well.

beautiful spot Max! i suppose you will need to return when the skies are clear and the sun is about to set, im sure the area gets magical.... western exposure i hope?

Thank you, Amp. 'Pretty much a southern exposure, I'm afraid. Still, in mid-summer...

great pictures! i was at rodney falls last saturday. wasn't quite as icy as it looks like it was during your visit. twas my first time there

Thanks, Jawn. It's the sort of place you keep going back to. I want to do the bushwack to the bottom of nearby Hardy Falls sometime.

great pics Mark!

Thank you very kindly, Amigo.

:0o: So beautiful!

Thanks, Dj!

hmm no frozen rivers here. Frozen lake and glaciers on the Big Island. Wish we had things that compared. Nice. any sphagnum near the stream?

hmm no frozen rivers here. Frozen lake and glaciers on the Big Island. Wish we had things that compared. Nice. any sphagnum near the stream?

I'm always impressed to hear of the mountains of Hawaii but I had no idea of glaciers. Glaciers rock. They really do. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sphagnum among the clinging greenery. We certainly do have forest varieties. The moss species here are a bit bewildering in their numbers.

Hey mark, any suggestions on a website or book to help distinguish the varieties of moss in the pnw? While I'm hiking, I spend the majority of my time looking at the moss. Just wish I knew the names of what I was looking at.

Sorry for the delay, Mark. Thanks for the link, I'm going to order myself a copy today

A Dog Mountain Afternoon.

Yesterday I took a hike on the Dog Mountain/Augsperger trails on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge. Dog Mountain is generally considered to be the finest flower destination in the Gorge and while the blooms weren't at their spring peak the scenery was more than worth my efforts. On the way down I met Jawn who was on his way up with out of town friends. It was a lovely day and we both had the same idea - ha! 'Hope you enjoy.

P5076200.jpg

The view west from just below the Dog Mountain summit looking over the top of Wind Mountain and down the Columbia River.

P5076224.jpg

P5076228.jpg

The ubiquitous arrow-leaf balsamroot (Balsamorhiza sagitatta)

P5076212.jpg

Phlox diffusa, spreading phlox.

P5076194.jpg

P5076233.jpg

Probably Castilleja miniata, the common red paintbrush.

P5076215.jpg

P5076205.jpg

Last edited:
No CPs? Just kidding, it looks like an incredible place, judging from the view in your first picture. The soil looks pretty dry, though. It almost looks like there is a fjord in the first picture.

That's great, Mark. You saw Scott there the same day? That's a pretty wild coincidence!

Back