What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Blank Canvas

Can't do anything without some help buddy. My pathetic crippled legs can't handle the labor.

Pay for my toll over the bridge and maybe I'll help.......actually I'll pay for the toll, you get the gas.

Pay for my toll over the bridge and maybe I'll help.......actually I'll pay for the toll, you get the gas.

Isn't getting to help out a fellow American who's down on his luck reward enough?

Isn't getting to help out a fellow American who's down on his luck reward enough?

The reward doesn't pay for student bills.

Can we get a ruling on this squatchy business? Is it a real thing?
Is that like, squishy.. but different? ???

Squatchy just means it looks like the perfect habitat for a sasquatch to live in. Like most of the Eastern United States looks rather squatchy to me. Some parts of the west coast do as well, mainly mountain forest areas. :)

Finally broke ground.. sorry for the crap pics.
I suck at outdoor photography..

Dug it about 3ft. deep. Figure after a week of conditioning it'll be ready for plants.

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

GH still stands..

IMG_2752.jpg

May be time to start bringing out some more plants. Getting a little less nervous about it..

IMG_2753.jpg

Gotta decide what's going to go into this first bog.

IMG_2756.jpg

Moved the droso out. Figured it'd appreciate some food.

IMG_2757.jpg

flowers in the yard

IMG_2749.jpg

raspberries

IMG_2751.jpg

I forget what this is, but it's purple and cool.

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

thats a pokeberry and it is highly poisonous to ingest, but the berries are great for making pinkish dyes. Also, its a pretty bad weed here in NC. Very neat greenhouse though! Are you eventually going to switch to a clear plastic or shade cloth or are you keeping the green tarp thing? Also, if that were my yard I would have made the entire grassy area a bog with stepping stones in between the areas :D but your way is probably more practical! Very nice mass.

The GH is temporary. My father just picked up the last of the parts to build a nice one. So we'll probably start that next spring.
The bog was a lot of work for this poor crippled boy to do alone. Couldn't imagine trying to do a larger one by myself. Love your idea though..

one can dream right :)

dream of strong legs.. haha.
If my knees could take it, I'd be digging all week long.

If you need some plants to fill the bog with I've got all sorts of Sarracenia seedlings that will probably be up for grab in the next year or so. Also, i'm constantly dividing my collection

I appreciate the offer, but I'm pretty well set. Gonna have to make another bog or two just to fit all my plants in.

OMG, you finally did it! :hi5: Got a nice S. Catesbaei ;) waiting to snuggle into that bog come spring.

OMG, you finally did it! :hi5: Got a nice S. Catesbaei ;) waiting to snuggle into that bog come spring.

:hi5:
Catesbaei is my favorite!
These bogs are going to be addicting. I have a feeling they'll be all over my yard by this time next year.

You have so much space! The evolution of it all will be amazing.

That plant with the purple berries is pokeweed (Phytolacca americana). The plant is poisonous at this stage of it's growth but, is actually edible before the berries form. It's best harvested while under 24" tall and boiled or steamed like spinach.

wow, nice! plenty of room for bogs, sarr beds, GHs, ponds, etc. you could set up a whole CP nursery there! (well a small one!)

:hi5:
Catesbaei is my favorite!
These bogs are going to be addicting. I have a feeling they'll be all over my yard by this time next year.

Yep, soon you will "have" to have one for sarrs, one for VFTs, one for temperate dews, one with an assortment, then you will have to put in a water-fall feature for the Darlingtonia...

oooh! heres an idea! and hook up the waterfall from the darlingtonia into a pond filled with urtics and aldrovanda! it would be like, this awesome, conjoined twin-bog/pond hybrid thing!

Funny you guys should say that.. Steph (my fiance) and I were out walking the yard and making plans for a pond/waterfall bog combo. I like the idea of koi..

Back