What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotys hummers giant

uphwiz

jimmy
quick question , its been quite a while since i divided cephalotus ,
can some one offer a little le help as i remember i lost three of the five divisions last time , :blush:
and isnt there a optimal mix i should use all advise is appreciated :-D

here are a few pics.

ceph1.jpg

ceph2.jpg
you can see the plant has several growth points , five that i can see, and one is growing out of the bottom of the pot.

im just hoping to seperate the top into two bunches and the one on the bottom. Last time i think i got a little too heavy in the dividing process, and thats where i went wrong.:blush:

I'm not sure I've lost any ceph cuttings before.
As long as they have a nice piece of rhizome, they will be fine. You may lose all the plant material growing out of the rhizome, which is not uncommon, but will regrow once they rhizome sends out some roots.
I've rooted pieces of rhizome with no growing material. Just bury it in moist LFS.

The soil mix I use is around 40% peat moss, 30% perlite, 30% turface.

Pic of 1 of the 2 tank full of divisions:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...hs-cephs-and-more-cephs&p=1081881#post1081881

thank you so much , and what is turface and where do i get it

LFS works well!

Hi Jimmy - good to see you around & hear that your plants are doing well!
thank you so much, and what is turface and where do i get it
Turface is the more generic term for APS (aquatic plant soil) which you may be able to find locally (but it's expensive). Lesco distributors sell Turface for baseball fields - although they now go by the name of John Deere Landscapes. See if there is a local one near you on their website. I recommend calling ahead to ensure they have some in stock - I think I have the 'All Sport' (~1/8" granules). Should be roughly $12 for 50 lbs.

Ron covered the Turface.

It is not necessary, just replace it with more perlite.

Back