What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prometheus: Suck, blow; or rule?

I caught Prometheus the other night and I still cannot decide, for the moment, whether I want to applaud Ridley Scott or strangle that limey ******* with a length of piano wire. The film has the dubious benefit of some of the stupidest scientists ever on film -- a close second only to that guy with the seven foot hypodermic in The Amazing Colossal Man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY5cfCsd6Ms&feature=relmfu (6:30) That said, there is a lot to look at; but it suffers from the "let's diminish the mystery syndrome" whose precedence was set when Darth Vader was unmasked; and it was revealed that there was just a poached three-minute egg inside.

Maybe the Blu-Ray and another thirty minutes?

I haven't sen it yet but am wondering if I should . . .fyi I liked the avengers and battleship but in battleship I thought "well the aliens can't just be wiped out like that" ,so I was a little disappointed.

Yea I just saw it and in my opinion it was good. Not as good as the Aliens series though. If you plan to watch Prometheus it would be a good idea to watch Alien, Aliens, and Aliens 3. If you like the series and are looking for some sort of game then I would recommend Dead Space and Dead Space 2, both are great scifi slash horror games with the similar monsters and idea of the Aliens series.

dont blame scott. blame his writter, Damon Lindelof

dont blame scott. blame his writter, Damon Lindelof

Yeah, I agree to a point; but he's captain of the ship and had thirty years with which to come up with new material . . .

Well, I saw it in 3D and I was constantly wondering when the fun was going to begin. I was hoping for an Avatar level type of experience but instead felt like there was just one or two scenes where any attempt was made. I felt it was done more because "everyone is doing it" than for the fun of the movie audience.

Story wise.... I felt it was a cheesey and tired rip off from the classic space genre movies, especially Alien.
I mean... come on, another talking decapitated android head?.... sheesh, why not just reuse some of Ripley's lines

It would have been much better had I not been there when the first Alien movie came out. I was hoping for the excitment level of it and Blade Runner.

But felt like what i got was pick pocketed for my money....
It is like the 4th Star Wars movie, I guess the royalty checks were starting to run out.

Ummmm, I'm holding back LOL

Very disappointed :p

Jeez, tell us your real opinion, David. Stop holding back buddy :lol:

I personally liked it, but then again I love all alien based sci-fi movies

Why do they keep going back to the stupid planet with the aliens? Like really... Can't they just go back to earth and plan a voyage to another planet WITHOUT aliens? All of the people in the colony got killed already, so it doesn't even matter. They should have just nuked the colony to start with. :censor:

Different planet altogether; a generation earlier, etc . . .

I thought Prometheus was pretty good, but I am a long time fan of Aliens, and was mostly interested in all the references in the movie and hints of the origins of Aliens.

Did anyone see the Nepenthes in the movie... it was on the ship in an upside down pot. I wonder who was wondering the plant while the rest of the crew was in hyper-sleep for several years.

I thought Prometheus was pretty good, but I am a long time fan of Aliens, and was mostly interested in all the references in the movie and hints of the origins of Aliens.

Did anyone see the Nepenthes in the movie... it was on the ship in an upside down pot. I wonder who was wondering the plant while the rest of the crew was in hyper-sleep for several years.

David, the android guy, was messing around the spacecraft the entire time; presumably he did, when he wasn't dyeing his hair and watching Lawrence of Arabia . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
who was wondering the plant? XD

David, the android guy, was messing around the spacecraft the entire time; presumably he did, when he wasn't dyeing his hair and watching Lawrence of Arabia . . .

haha I didn't plan on seeing it, but I may have to now.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Directed by a pro, written by a fifth grader"

I think this IMDB post title sums it up perfectly.

I did enjoy the movie for the atmosphere and design elements, but the script was atrocious. I am not surprised as Lindelof is involved; what I can not understand is WHY he got involved in the first place...

Just saw the movie tonight. While I'm not a true veteran of the franchise, I found Prometheus fairly disappointing compared to Alien and Aliens. There were so many weird plot holes.

(Spoilers Ahead)
Why was the alien in that Dr. Shaw's womb a weird squid looking thing? It looked nothing like previous incarnations of the Xenomorph.

Why did one of the crewman turn into a zombie? That also never happened in previous Alien movies. Usually an alien emerges from the body and host dies.

What was the motivation of the android in infecting and sabotaging the mission?

Why did the science team act like complete morons and place themselves in imminent danger like the biologist messing with the Snake xenomorph or casually taking off their helmets when they knew about the dangerous contagion?

Where did those henchman for Peter Weyland suddenly emerge from? Seriously, near the end of the movie the CEO of Weyland enterprises makes a sudden appearance and he has about half a dozen armed guards and helpers with him. You would think the crew would notice the extra payload/manifest.

If the Black sludge is meant to be a bioweapon against ancient humans, why bother creating something so dangerous that they can't even contain it themselves. They could use more conventional means to kill the small world population of antiquity.

What leads them to the conclusion that the Engineers want to wipe out humanity? Following the disaster that wiped out that facility, the Engineers had another 2,000 years to kill of the human race.

Why was the highly intelligent space engineer they woke such a violent sociopath. You would think that after a 2,000 year stasis, he would be in shock or confusion and eager to contact others.
(/Spoilers)

That being said, I really find it hard to enjoy most movies these days. Everything is always so faced paced, action oriented, and panicky. CGI and visual has replaced good acting and storytelling. It just gets tiresome to see. I can watch old Sci-fi movies like 2001: A Space Oddessy, Alien, and the original Star Trek movies and still find them quite enjoyable.

Somewhere in the last 10 to 15 years everything changed. Movies are now just an assault on the visual senses with utter rubbish storylines.

One final note, in the lead up to the hanky panky scene between Shaw and the ********* Archeologist in Shaw's living quarters, I saw a Nepenthes hanging upside down. Did anyone catch a glimpse and know what variety it was?

Also, is anyone else seeing a weird scrunched up formatting in my posts? I can't tell what's causing that.

Back