What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.lowii x truncata

Can someone tell me the diffrents between n.lowii x truncata wide and n.lowii x truncata squat.sorry for the stupid question but I dont know wide,squat? Thanks

It has to do with the variety of truncata used in the cross.

So I assume the truncta is wide and the other truncata is shorter(squat).

I thought wide meant wide peristome ???

The so-called "wide" selection of N. truncata is a male used by Exotica Plants in their breeding and specifically refers to this individual's especially wide, flaring peristome. You can view a photo of the N. truncata "wide peristome" on EP's web site, where they list that specific cross. This is the image EP uses to depict that cross:
http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/display_image.aspx?lowxtruncwpparents1.jpg

The other cross, although very similar, uses a male that is apparently of a much more "squat" character.

Thanks grinder,and desert I ordered the N.lowii x truncata squat type and should be here tommrow from Tony.I saw all the great pics of the wide variety but not much of the squat unless it was just labled n.lowii x truncata.The squat was a little bit more $$$ than the wide was wondering why?Anyway thanks for the reply.

The squat and wide variations of lowii x truncata started off at the same price. Apparently the supplier offers discounts on groups of plants after they've been around for "too long".. which in turn causes cheaper prices with retailers here in the states. Hence the lower cost of the lowii x truncata 'Wide'.
I've grown both variations. So far I've only noticed a different coloration in the two. The squat seems to be much more colorful, but only time will tell how the adult peristomes will differ.
Then again, (IMO) plants will vary in appearance from grower to grower.

Cool, thanks mass if you you ever get a minute, can you post a pic of the two.If its not a problem.
I had the choice between the two and me thinking more $$$ the better,and yes I know far from being true anyway pics would be awesome.

Here's my squat:
IMG_4946.jpg

Many of the pitchers have much deeper greens and purples than the picture would leave you to believe. Personally, I think it's the one to get.

It also grows like a champ...

Cool, thanks mass if you you ever get a minute, can you post a pic of the two.If its not a problem.
I had the choice between the two and me thinking more $$$ the better,and yes I know far from being true anyway pics would be awesome.

Wish I could.
Had to part with them a few months back.
Mato would be the one to ask for pics of them now.

*Edit*
haha.. how's that for timing?
I agree, squat is the way to go.
I've got Wide once again, but still reminiscing of times when I could afford a squat.

I've got Wide once again, but still reminiscing of times when I could afford a squat.

Ya know, taken out of context, that could mean all kinds of things......

Right on guys thanks for the pics,sounds like I picked the right one then!Again thanks for the replys everyone!ps mass I think I was going to go in on a wistuba order with you or somewhere eles anyway got the hamata clone one a couple days ago and wow disappointed to say the least.They are pretty small.I guess you get what you pay for.

horrible Whimgrinder * LOL

Back