What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tepui Tarantula

Wire Man

Sphagnum Guru
I don't know about you guys, but I love finding out about plants and animals that live along side our beloved CPs. I find the whole ecosystem of tepuis to be particularly fascinating, since there are no large predators up there and nothing turns out to be normal. Well, I've been researching tarantulas lately and found this;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/17/blue-tarantula-new-to-nature

I'd love to see a terrarium optimized for both Helis and this fuzzy beauty.

Wow. That is a beauty. I wonder how large they get and what they typically eat on the tepuis.

Wow how beautiful! Love the blue hue it has to its fuzz.

I have no idea what it eats, considering a species catalog for the area doesn't seem to exist.

@wire: quite possibly the pebble toads (oreophrynella sp), small frogs, predatory leaches, millipedes, caterpillars and other large insects would be my best bet.

I'm assuming you've seen BBC's Life, but if not there is a scene on a tepui involving a tarantula and a pebble toad, with Drosera in the background.

Of all of the episode I missed.... You're probably right, amp. Did you see any on your trip?

Tarantulas, yep. Scorpions too, they were slightly smaller than the tarantulas so it could be possible that a tarantula could take out a scorpion. saw possible prey items mentioned above in situ as well.

I resisted the urge to click because, well, omg spiders :spazz: but that is a very nice blue colour like those blue tepuis bromeliads that are up there too!

Tarantulas, yep. Scorpions too, they were slightly smaller than the tarantulas so it could be possible that a tarantula could take out a scorpion. saw possible prey items mentioned above in situ as well.

So essentially, you didn't need to bring any snacks with you because the mountain already provided, yes? :p

Ohhh! The toad is like "yippee kai yay #@%*%&" and the spider is standing there like "WTF" the the toad is like "ow, ow ow, ow, ow ow, *splash*"

What a painful method of avoiding prey...

I saw that scene on BBC life, too.

It's really cool, and just awesome with the drosera added :)

That's the coolest toad I've ever seen! Thanks for posting that.

I'm with that toad...AWWW HELL NO tarantula

Back